Author Topic: Engrave by outline or line  (Read 1137 times)

peregrinus

• View Profile
Engrave by outline or line
« on: January 07, 2019, 06:28:52 PM »
Just wondering if there is a way to engrave by line/poly in t2laser?  In benbox it had the option to engrave by outline? The reason is I have some things I'm making that are simple and it seemed faster to engrave them that way. Here is one I'm going to do.

nottingham82

• View Profile
Re: Engrave by outline or line
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2019, 07:10:31 PM »
Just wondering if there is a way to engrave by line/poly in t2laser?  In benbox it had the option to engrave by outline? The reason is I have some things I'm making that are simple and it seemed faster to engrave them that way. Here is one I'm going to do.
Here are a few options to do that  https://youtu.be/mYkLix7UT44

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Laser: 2500mw A5 eleks maker
Software: T2
http://www.gearbest.com/3d-printers-3d-printer-kits/pp_290386.html Paid $160 in 2016

peregrinus

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2019, 09:11:09 PM »
Cool thanks. That's what I was looking for.

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2019, 04:20:42 AM »
Easy method, right click the trace icon.

ODSteve

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2020, 07:43:33 AM »
Question. Why doing it this way is better? Is it something like it depends on the Engraving it might work better teaching the lines there side to side or faster? Thanks.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

ggallant571

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2020, 08:35:52 AM »
I have been looking for files to test my raster to vector utility. Attached is untouched translation. Converting some of the shades of white and black to pure white/black helped a lot.
SARCASM - Just one more service we offer here.

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2020, 09:24:39 AM »
Vector is generally used for cutting or line engraving, but it is possible to do filled vector with hatching and in some cases it can be faster than pure raster engraving but usually not worth the trouble.

ggallant571

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2020, 09:51:11 AM »
Again, Thanks for posting the file. Great test case and exposed some weaknesses in my algorithm. After a little touch up in GIMP I get the attached. I expect the line widths for inside cuts are much narrower than my laser can process without burning thru. Will try using 0.5mm maple veneer.

ggallant571

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2020, 12:00:05 PM »
Spent some time fiddling with the line widths. Eventually got the wide enough to cut.

This was a great test case. Could use a few more with similar difficulty. I just realized that this original post was about etching and I am looking for subjects to cut.

The original line widths were much to narrow to cut inside shapes. The kerf and/or over-burn cut into the walls resulting walls with zero structural strength. I think we need at least 5 pixels. Doubling the size would probably be sufficient. Anyway, it give me at test case to zero in on and a great finished cut.

Placed the cut piece on laptop display alongside an slightly earlier image. Actually looks better than the picture shows. Again, thanks for posting!!!!