Author Topic: Air Compressor Questions (quick reaction!)  (Read 154 times)

wveagle81

• View Profile
Air Compressor Questions (quick reaction!)
« on: January 08, 2019, 07:29:53 AM »

Woot has a sale on some air compressors which might interest some of you.  I'm
wondering if any of the three listed would be good for air assist.  I'm thinking of
jumping on the first one (1.3 gallon):

https://tools.woot.com/offers/campbell-hausfeld-air-compressors?utm_campaign=Daily+Digest+08+01+19&ref=eml&utm_source=Daily+Digest&utm_medium=email&utm_term=p_2&utm_content=Rec-Template&ref_=pe_3185080_388593330

I bought an air compressor at Hobby Lobby the other day and I *think* it was
working, but I'm not sure.  I routed the hose so it pointed at the laser dot, and
the compressor would start and stop seemingly randomly.  I put my finger under
the hose but I couldn't really feel any air coming out.

I saw a picture somewhere on the forum of someone who had what seemed to
be a "segmented" plastic hose with a nozzle pointing down beside the laser.  I'd
like to find out where that came from so I can get one too.

Thoughts?
- EleksMaker A3 Pro
- Paint Shop Pro and T2
- Obstacle Racer and Trail Runner

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
Re: Air Compressor Questions (quick reaction!)
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2019, 07:52:12 AM »
I don't see why not. I use a large compressed air tank which reduces the run time of the compressor, you don't really need high PSI but the CFM requirement is fairly high so you'll quickly deplete the smaller tanks so the compressor will be running constantly (heat and noise).

Is this what you are looking for: https://www.banggood.com/Round-Nozzle-Flexible-Plastic-Water-Oil-Coolant-Pipe-for-CNC-Lathe-p-969687.html?rmmds=search&cur_warehouse=CN

wveagle81

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2019, 08:54:05 AM »
Is this what you are looking for: https://www.banggood.com/Round-Nozzle-Flexible-Plastic-Water-Oil-Coolant-Pipe-for-CNC-Lathe-p-969687.html?rmmds=search&cur_warehouse=CN

Yes, that's exactly it!  I don't want to wait a month for it like everything else I order
from Banggood, so I found it on Amazon for a little more money but I should be
able to get it in a week or less.

That should hook directly to an air compressor line, right?
- EleksMaker A3 Pro
- Paint Shop Pro and T2

ggallant571

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2019, 09:09:52 AM »
I take basketball inflation needles and grind off the ends such that it becomes a direct spray.

For my Cartesian,  A3 I take a length of bare 14 gauge copper wire, coil wrap around the needle and affix to the laser carriage. It uses a $10US fish tank air pump. This idea was posted on this site about 2 years ago.

For Core-xy the laser mount plate is horizontal and it is easier to just drill a small angled hole and drop the needle in from the top.

I recently purchased a 3000 LPH (793 GPH) Aquarium pump suggested by WildBill (he has all the tools!!!). Very loud.

<https://www.amazon.com/EcoPlus-728450-Commercial-Aquarium-Hydroponics/dp/B002JLJC0W/ref=sr_1_11?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1546048602&sr=1-11&keywords=fish+tank+air+pump>

BTW - Harbor Freight air paint compressors can deliver sufficient air but overheat after about 5 minutes continuous use.
SARCASM - Just one more service we offer here.

wveagle81

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2019, 09:14:23 AM »
@ggallant - Yes, I've tried two different fish tank air pumps and they didn't
seem to put out enough air.  So that's why I went with the airbrush instead.
The compressor is pretty quiet, so I'm happy with it if I can verify the air
being pushed out.

The basketball needles I bought don't screw into the air line which came
with the compressor.

- EleksMaker A3 Pro
- Paint Shop Pro and T2

krypton

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2019, 04:58:00 PM »
Hi guys,
Thought I would jump in on this. I am using the HF air brush compressor., it gets hot after 20 minutes. I just have a power strip beside the engraver and plug in the compressor when needed. One evening a while back I was using the compressor and forgot to unplug it, didn't hear it running. Anyway the next morning I kept hearing something running and found the compressor still running. I went into a panic mode thinking the compressor is gone now. I touched it and found it was a little warmer than after a 20 minute run. It was still putting out air after running all night. Still OK today, plan on putting a fan on it though.

As to directing the air, I used 1/16" copper tubing and directed it at the blue dot. seems to be working OK, haven't realy cut any thing lately just engraving..................so far so good................

Thanks,
Krypton..................