Author Topic: Has anyone tried to etch plexiglass  (Read 95 times)

Tom

• View Profile
Has anyone tried to etch plexiglass
« on: January 11, 2019, 05:19:39 PM »
Has anyone tried to etch material like plexiglass or polycarbonate? Iím wondering if items such as the photo could be made. Iím thinking very low power, could our lasers do this?

nottingham82

• View Profile
Re: Has anyone tried to etch plexiglass
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2019, 05:29:24 PM »
Has anyone tried to etch material like plexiglass or polycarbonate? Iím wondering if items such as the photo could be made. Iím thinking very low power, could our lasers do this?
Yes many of us have tried it. Some colors are simple and engrave easily. Some are next to impossible. Some just need some help with a little bit of paint or sharpie to slow down the laser and the coating can be removed after.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Laser: 2500mw A5 eleks maker
Software: T2
http://www.gearbest.com/3d-printers-3d-printer-kits/pp_290386.html Paid $160 in 2016

ggallant571

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2019, 06:51:21 PM »
Diode lasers in the 400nm range just pass thru material such as clear glass and plastics. As Notingham said, you usually need something to absorb the energy and create heat. The magic is in getting the right medium and additive. I have had some success (and lots of failures) using black spray paint on wine glasses. Too much paint and the laser just melts the paint, too little and the paint is burned away prior to generating sufficient heat to fracture the glass. The excess paint is easy to remove from glass.

A couple of  days ago there was a post regarding etching glass using black acrylic as the additive. I immediately bough some but had trouble applying a uniform coating with a paint brush. Will try again with air brush. 

With plastics it is wise to know how the vapors may affect you.

Please post your success and or failures.
SARCASM - Just one more service we offer here.

welshkoiman1962

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2019, 02:44:20 AM »
I have etched on plexi just put a sheet of printer paper underneath it it will etch on paper side
https://www.instructables.com/id/Glass-Engraving-With-My-Endurance-10W-Lazer/ its same with plexi
« Last Edit: January 12, 2019, 03:00:58 AM by welshkoiman1962 »
10w Endurance laser With Makeblock Bed Running Mana se Board

donwatson

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2019, 03:39:05 AM »
Thanks for this chaps. I have some perspex/acrylic type stuff I want to try and this thread will be a great help.
I will, of course, post back with the results of my working.

Don W