Author Topic: software setup  (Read 66 times)

Grindz

• View Profile
software setup
« on: January 12, 2019, 11:43:48 AM »
so my ex-wife bought my son a laser engraver/cutter for Christmas from Alpha Automation. I put it together, but i can't seem to get it to move or get the laser to come on. when it is plugged in and turned on i get a hum from the laser, but nothing else.  they sent no software, just a link to download Benbox 3.7.99 and CH340 drivers.

any help would be greatly appreciated.
Al

Grindz

• View Profile
Re: software setup
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2019, 11:51:40 AM »
sorry, i guess i should mention the Specifications:

Material: stainless steel and acrylic
Working Voltage: AC110-220V to DC12V
Laser Power:3000mW
Engraving Area:65x50cm
Size:72x63cm
Stroke:650*500mm/26*20in
Communication Interface:mini USB
Stepper Motor:42H34S
Software Support: Wifidevelo, T2-Laser, Candle, Benbox, GrblController, LiteFire, etc. All GRBL-enabled software

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2019, 12:25:02 PM »
So you have the CH340 driver installed and can connect to the COM port, what software are you using?

My guess is the firmware is still the Benbox (Grbl 0.8 version) so baud rate would be 9600.

You should probably upgrade the firmware to Grbl 1.1 but first see if you can connect and get the welcome string (something like Benbox Ready or Grbl Ready).

Grindz

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2019, 03:33:06 PM »
ok so i'm an idiot about this stuff. i don't even know what that is or where to find it.  i know nothing about these things. i'm just trying to make it work for my son.

im using the benbox v3.7.99 and when i click the lightning bolt, it comes up with com3. i don't know which board to select:
          UNO(328p)/Benbox Laser 123567/Makeblock Orion
          Leonardo(32u4)/Benbox Laser 4/Makeblock Me Base Board
          NANO(328p)/LX-Nano

my choices for HEX file options are:
          Grbl_0.9i.hex
          Grbl_0.9j.hex
          Grbl_11e.hex
          Grbl_11f.hex
          Grbl_Mega2560_11f.hex
          Grbl_Uno_9600.hex
          grblUploadmega1.ino.mega.hex
          Marlin_110_RC8_FA_BL.hex
          mLaser.hex

i hope this helps...

ggallant571

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2019, 07:02:27 PM »
Post pictures of the controller and laser module. Try to get a clear shot of the connectors and wires.

The "typical" communications between the host computer and the controller uses the ASCII character set. You can open almost any terminal emulator (teraterm) to test the communications.

Both T2 and BCL support a wide range of options. T2 is more geared towards etching while BCL is cutting. If one works, you have  99.99% chance the other will also.

Any new tool will require learning by the operator. Most of us on this forum started with zero experience, high expectations, no manuals or guides, and had zero initial success. Many of us also broke something while getting started.
SARCASM - Just one more service we offer here.