Author Topic: CronosMaker controller with T2 software - does anyone use it?  (Read 697 times)

flowman

• View Profile
CronosMaker controller with T2 software - does anyone use it?
« on: February 01, 2019, 08:53:22 PM »
Close to completion to build my own engraver. The last thing the CronosMaker controller comes in a few days. I chose it because it can work offline and have limit-switch connectors. But this is only GRBL version 0.9J. Now I am looking for a good software for my engraver. So the question is:
Does anyone use T2Laser software with a CronosMaker controller? Any recommendations / first steps?
Link to the controller:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/GRBL-Offline-Controller-Board-3Axis-Stepper-Motor-Double-Y-Axis-USB-Driver-Board-For-1610-2418/32958335293.html

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
Re: CronosMaker controller with T2 software - does anyone use it?
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2019, 04:00:37 AM »
I have that exact board with the remote controller (larger LCD version). I use it on my CNC machine and have plans to hack the controller and add features, like homing and Z-probe but to answer your questions, yes it works great with T2Laser.

I save the G-code to the SD card and run it remotely or you can use it direct like any other board.

toromand

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2019, 12:23:08 PM »
I am thinking of a board replacement (currently L7 with default T2laser provided 1.1e).
Is this the one I should consider? Any recommendations?
Can this board be upgraded to grbl 1.1?

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2019, 02:02:56 PM »
Do you have a CNC? I would not recommend the Cronos for a laser but it's what I use on the Mini-CNC and it's an excellent match, there are others such as the Woodpecker which also has the remote pendant option. I have both but still prefer the Cronos.

toromand

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2019, 11:52:13 PM »
Hi,

No, I don't have a CNC (yet) but plan to upgrade the Laser with a Z-axis focus upgrade. The "remote" option is not a must. It is more about getting a more reliable board - and working nicely with T2.
Also GRBL 1.1 support would be great.
My main L7 board fried pretty much, and I'm running on spare. Stumbled upon this thread when I was looking for a board compatible with T2 and more reliable (and also supported Z-axis)

So what would you recommend for T2laser then?

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2019, 04:20:14 AM »
On a laser the most popular boards are the Eleks Mana, they are solid except the fake Nano clone they use. I believe there is an off-line option available but I haven't tested it so can't say how well it works with T2Laser.

The Cronos is really aimed at a spindle based CNC, it has a high current relay and 36V capable rails.

T2Laser will work with any Grbl based board but when using the remote option you rely on their firmware to send the G-code which I can't guarantee results.

ggallant571

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2019, 04:58:59 AM »
I am currently working on a controller board which can use either an Adruino Nano or an ESP32 board as the CPU. Version 1 is working, version 2 has some modifications and the blank boards have arrived.

Getting the blank boards from a Chinese PCB house at about $2.00US for 5 boards. You then need a NodeMCU-32S, headers, connectors , power jack, power switch, some discretes, A4998 stepper motor drivers, etc and about an hour of soldering. Board is good for 2.5W diodes. Above 8W I use an independent power supply.

The GRBL 1.1 firmware is available on github and is under active development. The admin for the site, Bart Dring,  also sells PCB's.  I have not yet tried the wireless  and or sdcard features.
SARCASM - Just one more service we offer here.

toromand

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2019, 11:33:36 AM »
I am currently working on a controller board which can use either an Adruino Nano or an ESP32 board as the CPU. Version 1 is working, version 2 has some modifications and the blank boards have arrived.

Getting the blank boards from a Chinese PCB house at about $2.00US for 5 boards. You then need a NodeMCU-32S, headers, connectors , power jack, power switch, some discretes, A4998 stepper motor drivers, etc and about an hour of soldering. Board is good for 2.5W diodes. Above 8W I use an independent power supply.

The GRBL 1.1 firmware is available on github and is under active development. The admin for the site, Bart Dring,  also sells PCB's.  I have not yet tried the wireless  and or sdcard features.

Please do notify when you release the design. I'm good with ordering boards and soldering, and have spare Arduinos and ESP-32s :)