Author Topic: tapped rails for sale and rotary setup?  (Read 1484 times)

sapling

• View Profile
tapped rails for sale and rotary setup?
« on: February 06, 2019, 03:40:00 AM »
Anyone know where I can find some new rails for the engravers? Should be 20x40 and 20x20 rails and I am not sure if they should be tapped with M5 or M6 but I want them pre-tapped as I cant tap the rail to save my life when I have tried in the past.
If anyone knows if it should be M5 or M6 that would also be very helpful as well.
I bought the baby rails a long time ago and I am finally at the point where I cant stand the small profile anymore. Probably going to use the little guy to cut myself out some new legs as well.

I also was interested in getting or building a rotary setup so that I can engrave some cylindrical objects. Thinking of trying to engrave some wooden cups etc...

ggallant571

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: tapped rails for sale and rotary setup?
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2019, 05:52:51 AM »
Try openbuilds.com. They also have a nice selection of brackets, bearings, & other mounting hardware.
SARCASM - Just one more service we offer here.

sapling

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2019, 06:13:00 AM »
They have the rails but they arent tapped and that has been my biggest issue as I screwed up the rail on one, my wrist on another, and the tap die on the last attempt. So trying to find them with the tap already made so I dont have to do anything.

ggallant571

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2019, 10:11:32 AM »
I just measured a hole and it looks like 4.3mm. Tapped one using a 5.0mm "gunbarrel" tool with very little effort. Went in about 2cm. I am not a machinist but understand that these taps are better for aluminum as they do not collect as much waste material.

sapling

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2019, 05:39:24 AM »
I ended up buying them from 8020.net they provide custom sizing and will tap holes. Total cost with shipping was about $88 to get 610mm x 610mm rails.
3 20x40
2 20x20

I also ordered extension cables from amazon.com no connector ends on them I will be cutting the existing cable and soldering the connections between to use the existing cable connectors instead. Wont look pretty but fastest way to make it work.
2-pin 20AWG wire 2M
and 4-pin 22AWG 10M
total for that came to about $13
I previously bought the drive belt for the motors dont remember exactly how much it was but I believe it wasnt a ton.
So I believe my upgrade total is about $120 incase anyone else is curious.

Also will be cutting the original plexi-glass feet in half and reusing them to save additional money.

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2019, 06:43:20 AM »
I've used 8020.net before, they also have an ebay site (or they did) and yes they offer cutting, drilling, tapping and pretty much anything you need to make a ready to assembly kit.

It's not the cheapest option but it does eliminate a lot of work.

sapling

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2019, 10:36:55 AM »
So it arrived finally and it fits the y just fine however the timing belt standard 6mm width doesnt fit the rails were only 5.23mm opening so that is roadblock one. Roadblock 2 is that although the wheels were able to fit in the x axis wheels are too tight to make it in so now I need bearing wheels for the top to replace them and need to try and find a different timing belt something 5mm width or less.
Anyone got a source for those parts? I figure that would be easier solution and cheaper than trying to buy new rails that the specs are the same... Never fails that nothing is easy. Need to build an enclosure next but will work on that later.

Stonemull

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2019, 07:51:27 AM »
Maybe try a metal scraper and open up the slot a little bit, or a file, only need to open it up a small part of a mm each side.
I have a little hole scraper deburrer that would make short work of it. Like the first one in this video, also used on the straight edge portion. You can get them from Banggood or Aliexpress for a couple of bucks though I think I got mine from a local auto shop.

https://youtu.be/1HISXiKvmgE

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
A3 Eleksmaker 2500mW
Solidoodle V2 Pro
Wanhao I3+ touch
Hacked Roland DXY-880
CNC3018 engraver
CNC Plasma (work in progress)

ggallant571

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2019, 10:44:11 AM »
1. You can eccentric spacers with 5mm centers. The original holes need to be enlarged.
2. Drill new plates of plexiglass.
3. 3D print the panels.

sapling

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2019, 05:00:44 AM »
I ended up spending 40 bucks on a few different size bearing wheels 20 for shipping 20 for the bearings 2 different sizes going to try and replace one side of the bearings to see if that gets me what I need to fit in there.
I did like the shaving idea but I think if its not as precise as the machine milling that is already there it might not move and or engrave as well was my concern. I almost ordered from a Chinese manufacturer but didnt want to wait the 3 weeks to get it so hopefully I will get all the components I need to get the new rig up sooner.
Wish I had saw the eccentric spacers that might have given me what I needed for a much lower price point but enlarging the holes just like shaving makes me afraid that it will not have the accuracy as the laser might not sit as well is my only concern.

Thanks though guys and I dont have a 3d printer or I would consider printing a new mount for all of this. Atleast that would be fairly accurate compared to other options.

Cheers,

ggallant571

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2019, 06:18:09 AM »
For the eccentric spacers you only enlarge the lower holes. Available from openbuilds.com,

I recall a posting about a year ago for a tension adjustment mechanism that pivoted in the lower holes. Might have been by nottingham82.