Author Topic: tapped rails for sale and rotary setup?  (Read 37 times)

sapling

• View Profile
tapped rails for sale and rotary setup?
« on: February 06, 2019, 03:40:00 AM »
Anyone know where I can find some new rails for the engravers? Should be 20x40 and 20x20 rails and I am not sure if they should be tapped with M5 or M6 but I want them pre-tapped as I cant tap the rail to save my life when I have tried in the past.
If anyone knows if it should be M5 or M6 that would also be very helpful as well.
I bought the baby rails a long time ago and I am finally at the point where I cant stand the small profile anymore. Probably going to use the little guy to cut myself out some new legs as well.

I also was interested in getting or building a rotary setup so that I can engrave some cylindrical objects. Thinking of trying to engrave some wooden cups etc...

ggallant571

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: tapped rails for sale and rotary setup?
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2019, 05:52:51 AM »
Try openbuilds.com. They also have a nice selection of brackets, bearings, & other mounting hardware.
SARCASM - Just one more service we offer here.

sapling

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2019, 06:13:00 AM »
They have the rails but they arent tapped and that has been my biggest issue as I screwed up the rail on one, my wrist on another, and the tap die on the last attempt. So trying to find them with the tap already made so I dont have to do anything.

ggallant571

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2019, 10:11:32 AM »
I just measured a hole and it looks like 4.3mm. Tapped one using a 5.0mm "gunbarrel" tool with very little effort. Went in about 2cm. I am not a machinist but understand that these taps are better for aluminum as they do not collect as much waste material.
SARCASM - Just one more service we offer here.