Author Topic: Engraving Mirrors (back)  (Read 275 times)

tillerswife

• View Profile
Engraving Mirrors (back)
« on: February 22, 2019, 03:25:21 PM »
Hiya.  We purchased an EBay Laser Engraver.  The pamphlet was horrible but we figured it all out and I finally got Benbox to work out.  I played with acrylic, mirror and wood.  The mirror turned out very nice for the few options Benbox offered.  Just installed the T2 the other evening and have been playing with wood.  I tried a small image on mirror and went over it numerous times before it would show up.  Does anyone have a decent setting for mirror?  I have come across numerous for wood and acrylic.....thanks for those! :)

I'll attach the mirror I did with benbox.  Pops in law loved it.

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
Re: Engraving Mirrors (back)
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2019, 03:46:37 PM »
I've found cheap mirrors work the best as they have a very thin coating but even then there's a lot of variation. Use a lower value than usual for resolution so it goes over the same area more than once, say 0.06 (slower but you will get a cleaner result).

tillerswife

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2019, 03:57:30 PM »
I am all about the budget-friendly mirrors. ;)
I will try the lower resolution setting.  Thank You! 

ggallant571

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2019, 04:47:38 PM »
For a 2.5W laser I use a speed of 900mm/min to get a frosted look and about 1200 for a clearer (just burns the paint). I also do everything at 254DPI or 0.1mm resolution. Clean the soot with alcohol. One pass is sufficient.
SARCASM - Just one more service we offer here.

c.lfrost

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2019, 07:21:34 PM »
I think the only drawback to mirrors is that smell..... it is so bad. at lease the mirrors I have done.

bnaivar

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2019, 06:57:36 PM »
Amen to that.  I have to make sure I have good ventilation when doing mirror backs. :o