Author Topic: Laser stepper smoothers or replacements  (Read 307 times)

sapling

• View Profile
Laser stepper smoothers or replacements
« on: March 11, 2019, 06:38:11 AM »
I was looking around and noticed a few things that supposedly smooth out the waves on the stepper motors themselves. Obviously I could just upgrade to the tmc2130's these are predone with the pins on top for the modifications that are required to make them work on the eleks board by default. https://www.banggood.com/TMC2130-V1_1-Stepstick-Stepper-Motor-Driver-For-SPI-Function-with-Heat-Sink-for-3D-Printer-p-1271582.html?rmmds=search&cur_warehouse=CN
Without buying those I was thinking my default A4988's might benefit from just adding in either the https://www.banggood.com/Ultra-Silent-Protector-Plug-Type-Stepper-Motor-Driver-Stepstick-Smoother-For-3D-Printer-p-1290657.html?rmmds=search&cur_warehouse=CN or the https://www.banggood.com/Wave-Elimination-TL-Smoother-Addon-Module-Stepstick-Protector-For-3D-Printer-Stepper-Motor-Driver-p-1304310.html?rmmds=search&cur_warehouse=CN.
Not sure if either of those types of modules will be of value or not so was wondering if anyone else has done any mods like that to smooth out the steps etc... As far as the silent aspect of the 2130's I really couldnt care less if its quieter as long as it seems to step nice and smooth.
I dont have a scope to test the differences with these in place as well as testing some of the other drivers out there such as the DRV8825's , MKS-LV8729

The main thing I really care about is plug and play as much as possible and smoother steps.
I am using T2 software not sure if that will play into any of this as well not sure how deep a microstep it can go into etc...

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
Re: Laser stepper smoothers or replacements
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2019, 08:19:17 AM »
T2Laser outputs G-code so it doesn't care what hardware you use. You could have linear motors, servos, steppers or whatever.

I'm not sure these do anything with standard A4988 drivers but I could be wrong, you can increase microstepping but may lose top speed as the Nano pulse train output is limited.

sapling

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2019, 09:51:50 AM »
Thanks for the response Zax. Any idea what the maximum is going to be on that Nano?
Wondering what my best option is going to be at this point. Are you using the 4988's still on your rig or have you upgraded or swapped out for something different?

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2019, 11:51:23 AM »
You can achieve a pulse train of ~30kHz, so calculate based on feed rate and steps required.

Keep in mind microstepping reduces torque significantly on stepper motors.