Author Topic: NOOB HELP to upgrade laser  (Read 124 times)

c.lfrost

• View Profile
NOOB HELP to upgrade laser
« on: March 15, 2019, 04:39:38 PM »
Hello,

So i think i made a mistake but I'm not sure. the seller says the 6w laser i purchased will work fine with the chinese engraver I got. but the board I have doesn't have a spot to plug in the 12v DC input. Just the 2wire TTL ( I think that's what its called). here is a photo of the board i have on my unit. Do i just cut off the 12v end and wire it into the positive and negative of the other wires?

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
Re: NOOB HELP to upgrade laser
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2019, 04:52:43 PM »
You can make it work but you'll need to solder or otherwise connect the wires. You need to power the laser directly from the power supply (not via the board) and then get the TTL signal from pin D11 and also connect a ground from the board. On some boards you can get the D11 signal from a jumper under the Nano but I don't know if your board has it.

ggallant571

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2019, 05:04:49 PM »
A two wire header on the controller is typically NOT for TTL level signals. It is usually the 12V power mosfet. Which vendor? Any more info? What was your prior laser module?
SARCASM - Just one more service we offer here.

c.lfrost

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2019, 05:08:27 PM »
A two wire header on the controller is typically NOT for TTL level signals. It is usually the 12V power mosfet. Which vendor? Any more info? What was your prior laser module?

if it is a 12v then can i just strip the two connections on the laser, compine them into the 2pin connector and just plus it in?

c.lfrost

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2019, 05:16:03 PM »
You can make it work but you'll need to solder or otherwise connect the wires. You need to power the laser directly from the power supply (not via the board) and then get the TTL signal from pin D11 and also connect a ground from the board. On some boards you can get the D11 signal from a jumper under the Nano but I don't know if your board has it.

i tried connecting the two wire lead, and running separate power to the 12v. I started up laserweb and hit test laser and nothing.

ggallant571

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2019, 05:53:30 PM »
Hopefully you didn't fry anything. Did you have the 12V wired to the controller and turned ON?
SARCASM - Just one more service we offer here.

c.lfrost

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2019, 06:17:07 PM »
Im sorry my knowledge on this is very limited.

It has a main power supply to the board and it is on.
I connected the 2wire connection that has the connector already on it into the slot for it on the board. Then I plugged the 12v power supply that came with the laser in to the laser. Nothing happened. I activated the laser button in laserweb and still nothing.

My question is. If i strip the 12v power input on the laser and connect those to the other wires and put them back in the connector. can i then just plug it in as normal and it work?

does that make sense? Again I'm sorry for not having the correct terms for any of this yet. I'm only about a month into this.

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2019, 04:01:36 AM »
Do not connect the TTL/PWM input to the controller laser output, it will damage the laser driver.

TTL means 5V and the controller output is PWM 12V = smoke and a dead driver!

As I said above this will require manually sourcing the D11 output from the Nano which will connect to the laser TTL input, but as it doesn't sounds like you have the electronics knowledge or skills to make this work you should probably get a replacement controller which has a suitable connection - or you could learn and solder the connections, it's not too difficult.

c.lfrost

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2019, 10:11:19 AM »
okay If you have any suggestion on controllers, or if there is any videos on what you are suggesting I work well will instructions.

Do not connect the TTL/PWM input to the controller laser output, it will damage the laser driver.

TTL means 5V and the controller output is PWM 12V = smoke and a dead driver!

As I said above this will require manually sourcing the D11 output from the Nano which will connect to the laser TTL input, but as it doesn't sounds like you have the electronics knowledge or skills to make this work you should probably get a replacement controller which has a suitable connection - or you could learn and solder the connections, it's not too difficult.