Author Topic: Laserbot Marlin (CLOSED)  (Read 637 times)

ggallant571

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Laserbot Marlin (OPEN)
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2019, 12:04:42 PM »
I like Ralph's calibration and test suite. What power is your laser? I typically etch colored cardstock at greater than 1800 mm/min at 100% power on a 2.5W module..
SARCASM - Just one more service we offer here.

Administrator

• Administrator
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2019, 02:07:11 PM »
Yes Phil, your test burns look like they should now. Good work.
Admin -- Ralph -- support @ BenCutLaser dot us
https://www.dropbox.com/s/qv1qee2vb65785t/SetupBenCutLaser3.2a.zip?dl=0
BCL Paid license: $49.95
via Paypal to bclpp@primemail.com

PhilMC

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2019, 07:24:32 AM »
Hi ggallant571
I have a laserbot with 1.6W blue diode laser.
I was concentrating on getting complete lines without breaks as you can see from the dialogue. I have yet to experiment with speed though that will be soon! What do you use your etched colourstock for....?

PhilMC

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2019, 07:31:39 AM »
Hi Ralph
Thanks for the comment.

Can you point me in the direction of which of your tutorials would be useful to me in order to get the 3 mm plywood cutting? I have seen that you describe how to cope with the grain direction... Do you have any suggestions as to a typical tool setting? Did you try this with the laserbot?

Regards
Philip

ggallant571

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2019, 08:11:39 AM »
I have a 1.6W which I use for detail work. It has a great focal point and makes cleanest line etchings. I also use it for cutting veneers and stencils.

Cutting 3mm wood is going to be a slow process and the glues used in typical home supply or hobby stores plywood will make it almost impossible. In my attempts to cut plywood, the laser seems to melt the glue and it remixes with the ash to form a solid brick like layer in the cut trough. I suspect Ralph has a better explanation and/or procedure

There supposedly is "laser" friendly plywood and it would be nice to have a reliable source.

Do you have a "Air Blower" to remove the ash and an adjustable Z axis to control the focus?

PhilMC

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2019, 11:07:15 AM »
Hi ggallant571
Thanks for the info...
The plywood I purchased from Amazon:
'Creative Deco 10 x A3 Plywood Sheets 3mm | 420 x 300 x 3 mm | Baltic Birch Wood Ply | Perfect for Pyrography, Laser Cutting, CNC Router, Modelling, Fretwork, Scroll Saw'

I am hoping that it lives up to its reviews!

I don't have an adjustable z or an air blower. The latter I might be able to rig up or make something with my 3D printer, or purchase from A. I guess I might need something with a nozzle and a pump, perhaps an aquarium air kit or a miniature paint spray. Any ideas?

Philip

ggallant571

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2019, 11:14:07 AM »
I look forward to your writeup!! User Don Watson seems to be having success with cutting 33 ply. Either of the two air pumps should do the job. You want to keep the ash out of the cut trough.

Administrator

• Administrator
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2019, 12:48:42 PM »
@phil
The videos you should look at are the ones where you create a laser tool for a specific job. In your case to cut 3mm wood. Name your tool accordingly.

Then calibrate if by seeing what settings you need to cut 3mm wood. You'll want 100% power. Test burns/cuts will determine the best speeds per grain direction. Use the square test patterns to test your cuts. You'll need about 5 to 6 or so passes to cut 3mm.

Remember once you get your laser tool setup, that's your tool to cut 3mm wood. Don't change your settings and don't use that tool to cut any other type of wood. Each laser tool your create should be for one specific job only: cuts, surface burns light or dark, etc.

I did test burns using the test shapes when I had my laserbot but I don't have it up and running any more.

A z axis won't help much with a 1.6 w laser. I have a z axis with my 1.6 and it's not worth the effort in my opinion.

A blower is a highly desirable option to have. I recommend installing one to blow the ash away for cutting.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2019, 12:53:34 PM by Administrator »

PhilMC

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2019, 11:25:46 AM »
Hi Ralph
Thanks for your advice regarding cutting plywood. I will work my way through....

Here I have attached a picture of my template for the heat bed adapter which I have just cut from card. I shall now try it up against the parts of the 3D printer.

Thanks again for your help with the toolpaths

Regards
Philip

ggallant571

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2019, 12:12:50 PM »
Are you missing a hole on the right side?

Administrator

• Administrator
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 31, 2019, 04:30:31 PM »
@Phil,

When I read your last post I did not see any attachments. But now I do. The laser cuts look great on the cardboard. It should turn out fine when you finally move to 3mm wood. Remember that you cannot use the same laser tool you used to cut your cardboard. You'll need to create a 3mm Wood laser tool, calibrate it and you'll be good to cut.

PhilMC

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 01, 2019, 12:13:26 AM »
Hi ggallant571

Yes thanks for picking that up. Its the old story of checking your own work... you see what you want to see!

Philip