Author Topic: clearance issue with 5.5 laser mounting  (Read 2329 times)

bansil

• View Profile
clearance issue with 5.5 laser mounting
« on: March 07, 2016, 08:39:37 AM »
SO, machine went together great using the pictures on Banggood site, until I noticed the laser head wouldn't move after bolting it down

The nuts that secured the laser head were up against the extruded metal and wouldn't move, I noticed 4 plastic spacers that were longer than the other the other 20

so I replaced the short ones on the laser side of the wheels the 5th wheel I used the stock short spacer and just added 2 washers so it was same length as the 4 pcs

Hope this helps someone

Looks crooked and off, it is just the picture
In wine there is wisdom, in beer there is Freedom, in water there is bacteria.
Benjamin Franklin

My Avatars name is Andrious he is famous Andrious, pet of the day Dec. 8th, 2015

Administrator

• Administrator
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: clearance issue with 5.5 laser mounting
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2016, 09:04:20 AM »
Ah ha...I had to do the same thing...add some washers to 'push' out the acrylic mount so there was some room behind for the screw head to clear!

I changed screws from an allen head type to a regular M3 hex head so I could get an open end wrench on it to tighten it up.

Now that I also have a 3D printer, I plan to design a plastic plate that will actually mount to that original acrylic laser mount and then have the laser head mount to the 3D plastic part. I plan to design in some room so I can remove and install a laser head and get access to its mounting screws more easily. It's on my 'to make' list.

The biggest problem (to me anyway) I found with the Benbox laser kit are those belt 'anchors'...I just hate them...they are so cheap and you need 3 arms to make a belt adjustment. I have already designed a new belt anchor that you will be able to easily adjust the belt with just two hands. I've gone through 4 design changes with 3D Sketchup but I'm ready to use my 3D printer and make my new belt anchor parts. I will be doing that soon and will see how they work in reality and post pictures here when I am finished.

And BTW, the belt anchors on my RepRap Acrylic Prusa i3 3D Printer are not any better!! So I will be working on a new belt anchor design for that as well. Add another item to my 3D Printer 'to make' list!
« Last Edit: March 07, 2016, 09:05:35 AM by Administrator »
Admin -- Ralph -- support @ BenCutLaser dot us
https://www.dropbox.com/s/qv1qee2vb65785t/SetupBenCutLaser3.2a.zip?dl=0
BCL Paid license: $49.95
via Paypal to bclpp@primemail.com