Author Topic: T2 settings help please  (Read 386 times)

SteveS

• View Profile
T2 settings help please
« on: June 25, 2019, 09:22:21 PM »

I purchase an Eleksmaker A3 pro 2500mw about 12 month ago but could not get any satisfactory results so shelved the project. I am now rejuvenated and have purchase T2Laser, to date, I have not found a suitable grbl to burn anything on any material. From the images, can someone identify my Mana SE version, and what be the correct grbl and settings to start with for engraving. I would like to start cutting 1/4" ply, what is an appropriate Laser upgrade that would be a straight swap without extensive mods and where can I purchase pleas.

Thanks

Steve S

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
Re: T2 settings help please
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2019, 07:29:41 AM »
You can use my Grbl 1.1e DEFAULT firmware (in the Machine menu).

As far as cutting 1/4" ply, that's a challenge for any diode laser. The Endurance laser would be your best bet for that thickness although I would say a CO2 (60W) is more appropriate.

ggallant571

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2019, 09:11:53 AM »
The amount of burn is dependent upon the energy in the beam, focus size, and time on target.

The max energy in the beam is defined by the laser module. In your case 2.5W. You can reduce the energy deliver by using Pulse Width Modulation (PWM) in software. It is not a linear function.

The focus is typically manually adjusted. As the beam is a cone any location off the ideal will be wider. Adding a z-axis will help for cutting but it will increase the kerf.

Time on a location is controlled by the speed. In our typical configuration that is mm per min.

Every material you burn will have different have a different profile. I keep a simple log. From experience, a 2.5W laser will etch dark woods about twice as fast a light woods.

As Zax said, a 2.5W laser is not really appropriate for cutting 0.25 inch wood. Plywood is even worse as the glues in standard plywood are not diode laser friendly. They tend to melt and mix with the ash to form a hard material. Cutting anything thicker than 1mm will benefit from an air stream to remove the ash. CO2 lasers have a significantly different wave length and will do a better job.

Our system admin (Ralph) is the author of BCL and has an excellent document with calibration and test cut procedures.
SARCASM - Just one more service we offer here.

SteveS

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2019, 10:53:29 PM »
Thank you Gents for your reply, after several hours and numerous attempts I cannot get the laser to burn/engrave on any material wood, ply, MDF or cardboard despite manually adjusting the focus to a pinpoint and running several passes on full power, all I get is a few 'spots' or burns. I suspect that this product may have shipped 12 months ago with a faulty laser module, after watching several YouTube projects where this Laser is used...I do not come close to getting the results on the videos. How do I test the laser for correct working power. Can it be done with an amp-meter or similar.

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2019, 05:03:08 AM »
If you are using my firmware the default parameters would be correct but if you are using Eleks firmware you'll need to change laser max to 1000. Use the manual laser power controls to check it.

Also make sure that switch isn't pressed, it may be the low power attenuation setting for focus.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2019, 05:03:51 AM by Zax »

ggallant571

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2019, 10:57:23 AM »
You should expect about 2 to 3 Amp draw on the 12V supply. Is there a Makerspace near you?

SteveS

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2019, 04:18:10 PM »
Zax, I'm using your parameters max 255, nearest Makerspace about a 4 hour drive.

ggallant571

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2019, 07:21:08 PM »
I have similar problem being situated in the middle of the low tech capital of the world.

You appear to have a low power switch on the electronics mounted on the diode module. Does it work?

Depending on you budget/interest/SO:

1. Oscilloscope. The PWM frequency is in the KHz range so a cheap USB will suffice.
   2. Variable bench supply with voltage and current readouts. . 0-30V, 5 Amp should suffice for up to 5W diodes.
   3. Current meter. Multi meter with 10A inputs.

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2019, 04:20:24 AM »
Did you change to using my firmware? If not, you have a mismatch as the firmware would be expecting 1000 and T2Laser is set at 255 so max power would be 25%.

You can check the Grbl Parameters in the Machine menu, look at the $30 value.

SteveS

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2019, 03:57:06 AM »
 I have installed default T2 Laser grbl 1.1e, set the Parameters to this so am I currect in using the max power of 255. The low power switch works and I use it  to adjust the laser focus. What is the procedure to completely clear and reset the Eleksmaker SE board for use with T2 Laser

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2019, 06:12:29 AM »
If you loaded my firmware then you don't need to do anything else.

You could double check the Grbl parameters but loading my firmware sets everything correctly unless you use other software which changes them. T2Laser never changes Grbl parameters unless you  click to upload them from the Machine menu.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2019, 06:13:44 AM by Zax »

SteveS

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2019, 04:00:57 PM »
Hi Zax,

Only using your software but can't get the laser to burn, x and y axis go through  the motions of the drawing, I'm using the 50mm example square fro T2, but the laser refuses to light up.

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2019, 03:42:35 AM »
Does it turn on just not at full power or is it not on at all? (very different causes)

If you use the manual laser controls does it work?