Author Topic: Qcad vs Nanocad  (Read 184 times)

krypton

• View Profile
Qcad vs Nanocad
« on: July 05, 2019, 05:01:31 PM »
Hi everyone,

I tried to use qcad and was having a lot of problems figuring out the commands that the software uses to get the job done.

For starters I went to a community collage and learned Auto cad R12 by use of commands rather than icons. I also tried the Nano cad program and the commands were very similar so I was able to get going relatively quickly.

I downloaded a zipped file on the net...Etsy...to be exact. Layered laser cutting. In other words cut 9 separate pieces and then glue one on top of the other for the project.

I received  a lot of errors in T2 "invalid format". so the question is, is the nano cad program not very good at saving a drawing to a DXF file to load into T2?

Any input would be appreciated............
Thanks,

Krypton.........................

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
Re: Qcad vs Nanocad
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2019, 03:53:38 AM »
I would need to see the DXF but it should work.

krypton

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2019, 07:32:09 AM »
Hi Zax,

I just tried a simple 5 line drawing and it tossed an error. With the overlay details it shows a  -104,-64 coordinates or mm indication at the upper left corner and a blank screen in T2. Missing something................

Krypton............

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2019, 08:16:54 AM »
It loads correctly but your drawing is in negative space (off the screen), you can see in QCAD it's your file coordinates.

If you use Relocate Origin it will move it to positive space, or you could set the origin correctly in your CAD when you export the DXF.

krypton

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2019, 08:44:54 AM »
Hi,
Do you have nano cad? The drawing starts ( beginning 0f the pigtail LL cor. ) is at 20,20 approx. could be 20,20mm ? I wonder.

Thanks,
Krypton...................

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2019, 10:45:06 AM »
I don't have NanoCAD but that doesn't matter, it's a DXF and your drawing starts at -104.6, 25.6.

I manually checked the DXF coordinates and that's correct, load it back to NanoCAD and check it.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2019, 10:49:44 AM by Zax »

krypton

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2019, 03:41:02 PM »
Hi,
Thanks for the advice on in neg. territory Zax. Missed that as I was so focused on the picture on the screen.

Now a different problem popped up. Gremlins at work. I loaded the attached in both Nano cad and Q cad they both do not show a loop at each intersection. When loaded into T2 there seems to be a loop at each intersection. What causes this? I also have a master drawing of the .dxf file in PDF format. It does not show any loops. Also approx. 3500 segments in the drawing and some 23 or so minutes to laser. I'm guessing that the lines in the drawing are splines. Laser trying to cover all the lines several times ending up in meters of travel some 165m or so..................

Any ideas???

Thanks,
Krypton..................

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2019, 04:47:02 PM »
It's because of the bulges, T2Laser supports an older format where the definition was different. If you ignore the bulges the loops go away but you also don't get the bulges as expected.

I exploded in QCAD, moved to positive space and also corrected the measurement units.

DXF Optimizer reduced it from 2 min 46 secs to 1 min 41 secs, you could do the same in your CAD if you arrange the segments (some programs can do this automatically, chain polyline is what I use but it's called different things in different programs).
« Last Edit: July 13, 2019, 04:52:54 PM by Zax »