Author Topic: Mayan calendar on slate  (Read 182 times)

bob2299

• View Profile
Mayan calendar on slate
« on: August 02, 2019, 01:01:28 PM »
Always wanted to try this on a larger piece of slate.  Went to local tile shop and they ordered me several pieces of "black" slate 12"x12"x1/4" at a cost of $4.50 cdn. per piece

Settings used with T2 were; resolution 0.10, speed 1000, power 100%, B&W .  Slate was washed first to remove debris.  There is a small flaw about 1:00 which didn't cut very well.  Completed job was sprayed with MinWax spray poly to bring up contrast once completed.  This slate was not as black as I have seen with slate coastes from Michaels which likely accounts for the level of contrast.

Looks pretty good, but would have liked it larger than the 9x9".  I ran into limits on lines that T2 would handle when using a larger size like 10"x10" or 11"x11".  Gcode was 600,00 lines and took 400 minutes to print.

Bob
-EleksMaker A3 2.5 W Laser with Mana SE board & air assist
-Inkscape, Qcad, BCL, &  T2
-Ender 3 3D printer
-I live in London, Ontario, Canada and my interests are inlay/marquetry & 3D printing

ggallant571

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Mayan calendar on slate
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2019, 01:14:21 PM »
Welcome to the slate game. Imperfections in stone are to be expected. I typically wash/scrub the slate and seal prior to etching. Allow time to fully dry between steps. Your speed is about twice what I run at.
SARCASM - Just one more service we offer here.

c.lfrost

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2019, 04:00:15 PM »
Welcome to the slate game. Imperfections in stone are to be expected. I typically wash/scrub the slate and seal prior to etching. Allow time to fully dry between steps. Your speed is about twice what I run at.
I have to agree seal first. Image pops more, and i feel it has a great silver tone. This is a slate coater from micheals.

Sent from my LG-G710 using Tapatalk

carolynsdad

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2019, 04:07:48 PM »
I have to agree seal first. Image pops more, and i feel it has a great silver tone. This is a slate coater from micheals.

What do you seal with? I use Danish Oil, you may know it as Tung Oil.
2.5W BangGood laser kit in use by my daughter for craft work.
3.5W BangGood with TTL board in use by me as a developemt tool only.
T2Laser and Benbox software.

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2019, 04:58:52 PM »
I test G-code files over 8 million lines multiple times with each release and have tested 12 million lines on major releases, so 600k isn't even close to the limit.

If you are doing large files it will ask if you want to display the G-code, always say no and it should not have any resource issues, even my $60 tablet will run the 12 million line files and it has 2GB shared memory and an Atom processor.

There are known issues with dot net regarding memory leaks so closing T2Laser and restarting it would ensure maximum resources, then generate the G-code and either run the machine or save the G-code but don't keep going back and forth from design to laser as it will eventually have issues.

bob2299

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2019, 05:13:06 PM »
Thanks Zak, will use your advice particularly for my next big job.

For Ggallant571, c.lfrost,  and Carolynsdad, I have been using MinWax spray poly after the laser run, I will change my habit and apply it before laser run and see the difference.

Thanks to all.

Bob
-EleksMaker A3 2.5 W Laser with Mana SE board & air assist
-Inkscape, Qcad, BCL, &  T2
-Ender 3 3D printer
-I live in London, Ontario, Canada and my interests are inlay/marquetry & 3D printing

c.lfrost

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2019, 05:23:37 PM »
What do you seal with? I use Danish Oil, you may know it as Tung Oil.
Its a spray poly.

ggallant571

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2019, 09:05:22 AM »
I use Tenex AGER. It was recommended by someone on this forum.
SARCASM - Just one more service we offer here.