Author Topic: Laser always on when carving, creates travelling lines  (Read 94 times)

gelglmn

• View Profile
Laser always on when carving, creates travelling lines
« on: August 05, 2019, 10:56:33 PM »
Hi there! Newbie here. I just got my Elekslaser A3 Pro yesterday and I didn't know how complicated it is to operate  ;D I gave up on Elekscam so now I am trying Benbox. I successfully engraved something but attached is the result. I noticed that the laser is always on, so it created those travelling lines when engraving. Any ideas as to why it happened or the correct settings for it? I tried again on paper but the same result appears. The image I used is in JPEG and the Carve mode is outline - curve, as I find Scan by Line and Scan by Z-shaped too slow and burning everything. Sorry, total noob. Your help is much appreciated  ;)

ggallant571

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Laser always on when carving, creates travelling lines
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2019, 11:09:02 PM »
It is necessary to match the firmware in the controller with the host application. An easy way to get started is by using a trail version of T2 or BCL. They support GRBL-1 firmware and have provisions for downloading and setting the initial operating parameters.

The older firmware used a different I/O pin on the embedded CPU which does NOT support PWM (Pulse Width Modulation). Some controllers have a jumper to select the pin. I would expect the always ON condition if you have the old firmware with a newer controller.
SARCASM - Just one more service we offer here.

gelglmn

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2019, 11:30:52 PM »
It is necessary to match the firmware in the controller with the host application. An easy way to get started is by using a trail version of T2 or BCL. They support GRBL-1 firmware and have provisions for downloading and setting the initial operating parameters.

The older firmware used a different I/O pin on the embedded CPU which does NOT support PWM (Pulse Width Modulation). Some controllers have a jumper to select the pin. I would expect the always ON condition if you have the old firmware with a newer controller.

Oh, I see. I'll try T2Laser then  :) Will get back again with another result. Thank you!

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2019, 04:25:46 AM »
T2Laser with my Grbl 1.1e DEFAULT firmware should fix it, if not you have an older board and need to use the Non-PWM firmware in the custom menu but be careful loading random firmware as it's easy to "brick" the Nano.