Author Topic: machine 'seized' during burn  (Read 257 times)

donwatson

• View Profile
machine 'seized' during burn
« on: August 10, 2019, 12:10:53 PM »
I fitted a new air assist system this afternoon and started to burn the greyscale sample in T2. (pic_2). Starting at the bottom I used :-
1000, 0-255, 0.2
1000, 0-255, 0.18
1000, 0-255, 0.15
1000, 0-255, 0.13
Unfortunately when I started the 0.13 burn it only did a couple of passes and then stopped.
There was a box on the computer screen that had in the title bar :-
'Thread Exception - serial port error. System.IO.IO.Exception. A device attached to ....'
and in the box it says 'A device attached to the system is not functioning'
The motors on both axes felt like they were 'locked' and the laser unit would not move by hand, there was no movement using the programme so I had to turn the power off and disconnect the computer to free the laser unit.
I was working well with the new setup before this happened and would like to get back to using it again, maybe it is a computer fault as I am using an old Samsung N145 Notepad powered by an Intel Atom chip and running Windows 7. I will purchase another copy of T2 for my new laptop if that will help (the old laptop has been wiped and is used as a training machine).
pic_1 shows the burns and pic_2 is the air assist.
Don W

« Last Edit: August 10, 2019, 12:12:47 PM by donwatson »

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
Re: machine 'seized' during burn
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2019, 02:06:18 PM »
Very nice results. The IO error is from dot net and due to the driver failing or the USB connection being interrupted, it could also be caused by power savings if your machine shuts off the USB to save power.

donwatson

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2019, 04:04:19 AM »
Thanks for that Zax, I think I know what you mean.
There are 3 things that can go wrong ?
1 IO error from dot net is due to the driver failing, is there anything that can be done to cure this ??, possible re-install of dot net ?? or maybe better to install T2 on a better/newer computer.
2 the USB connection being interrupted, is there any particular way this happens ?, is it from a particular source or again would a new install of T2 on another computer be the answer ??
3 I reset T2 to its defaults yesterday after one of the times that this error occured, would this cause the computer to shut down/go to sleep ? , again I am leaning toward a fresh install of a new T2 on a new laptop.
I have been thinking I need a new T2 anyway so I will be in touch. Thanks again.

Don W

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2019, 04:26:03 AM »
1. The driver failing is just a typical Windows problem
2. Possibly the USB cable, electrical interference, internal hub clash with another USB device, Nano error
3. Disable all power savings (in Windows and often in the BIOS for USB ports)

None of these would be helped by reinstalling software as they are not related to the software.

donwatson

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2019, 07:47:44 AM »
Hi Zax,
I have just installed my new copy of T2 Laser on my new Win 10 laptop.The laptop has been setup with the screen and power settings set to "never" shutdown. I went through the setting of T2 as per the YouTube video tutorial by Laser Graffiti and all went well.
I tried the sample shown in the video ie 50mm dia. circle, reduced to 10mm. I burnt a couple of these and then burned a couple of 10mm squares and all was well.
However I then thought to run through all the samples and started with the Power Test (100-255). The laser seized up during the burning of the 1 in 100. The motors seem to lock like they are trying to go forwards and backwards at the same time ??
I have taken out the air assist and am just using a fan at the back to clear the fumes.
I have removed the mouse that used a USB port and the only port in use now is the connection from the laser.
I have fitted homing switches to the end of the board (as per a recent article on this forum), could this cause a problem ??

This problem is beginning to worry me as I have never seen anyone with the same problem on the forum. Can anyone through any light on this problem ??
I really need a 'simple' idiot proof guide to trouble shooting on this machine, please anyone ??
Don W

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2019, 09:38:19 AM »
Any error reported in the message window?

It could be electrical noise or a bad connection somewhere, or simply the Nano failing.

donwatson

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2019, 09:58:48 AM »
Hi Zax,
I ran another burn this afternoon and it seized again after (about) 30 minutes. When I unplug the power connection to the laser the unit moves quite freely but when I re-connect the motors seize up again. ??? Could this be a Nano problem ?? Any advice on buying a decent Nano ??
There was no error messages today when the laser stopped. When it stopped this afternoon I had just switched the light on in the shed ??

Don W
EDIT I have the old board that came with this machine, (see pic), should I remove the old Nano and try it on the new board ?? or would it be better buying a new Nano ??
« Last Edit: August 12, 2019, 10:31:29 AM by donwatson »

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2019, 10:54:51 AM »
The board doesn't do much, the stepper drivers and Nano are the important parts. Do not move your machine by hand even when turned off, that's a sure way to damage the drivers.

If it's seized up, holding current is on then there's a problem with either the driver or Nano. Using my default Grbl parameters it should not remain energized.

The Grbl "error" is displayed in the message window not a popup like the driver fail which was a Windows error. It will simple say "error" or something similar, this is coming from the Nano and tells T2Laser that it's essentially crashed.

If the connections are good then I would start by replacing the Nano and then drivers.

donwatson

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2019, 11:48:42 AM »
Thanks for that Zax.
I will try again in a couple of days time as I am quite busy at the moment.
I am sorry about the 'moving the machine by hand', I didn't actually move the machine (having read on this forum that it was a nono) I tried to move the machine but it wouldn't move with a fair bit of pressure. After removing the power supply to the laser there was no resistance, when I plug in the power supply again there was a fair bit of resistance.
Maybe a better idea would be to purchase another new board for this laser machine although this is only a couple of months old.
When I compare the 2 Nanos they don't look the same but what do I know. Is there anywhere in the UK to purchase the Nano ??, I think I bought my last board from Banggood along with wheels and micro switches and tey managed to split the order into 3 and spread the delivery over 8 weeks but I will use them if necessary.
Don W

donwatson

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2019, 08:47:55 AM »
Hi Zax,
Back again a bit sooner than I expected.
I started up the machine today with the intention of going through all the samples and waiting to see what went wrong.
I burnt the power test (100-255), feed rate test (100-500) and the feed rate test (500-1500), while the machine was burning the last test my wife arrived at the shed with a cuppa. During my tea break I went in to the shed to switch off the fan I have blowing the smoke/fumes out the shed and when I switched off the fan the laser came on full power and the motors seized up again.
It looks like this could be an electrical noise problem. I unplugged the power to the laser and everything looked ok but when I plugged it back in the full power came back on and started to burn the wood. I repeated this a couple of times before shutting down and bringing the setup into the house. I will wait and see what I can do indoors but it looks like an electrical problem. Any ideas on how to cure this ??
I have attached a pic of the setup in the shed and it could be the extension cable I am running everything from, I will set up again in the house.
Don W
PS When I switched the machine on just now, I can move the laser using the arrows but I don't have the red icon to home with ?? Any clues ??
« Last Edit: August 13, 2019, 08:54:23 AM by donwatson »

ggallant571

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2019, 09:46:16 AM »
Obvious question - Do you have the power supply configured for your environment?

I live in a rural area with a backup generator. When the power goes out it takes 15 seconds for the generator to kick in. Installed USP units on laser and 3D printers to handle the interruption.
SARCASM - Just one more service we offer here.

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2019, 10:10:57 AM »
It sure sounds like you have an electrical problem, it must be generating a large spike to cause that lockup which indicates a larger issue with your wiring.

If the red home icon is missing the firmware may be corrupt. That comes on when Grbl tells T2Laser it is requires homing.

donwatson

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2019, 11:04:46 AM »
@ggallant571, I will check by running the laser in the house and then adding fans etc but I think indoors is steady and the supply to the shed and in the shed might be a bit iffy.

@Zax, as I said to George I will run the laser indoors and see what results I get.
I have just powered up the computer, started T2, loaded the 10mm square from the Help menu, clicked on the Control Laser icon and when the T2Laser Controller opens it shows Connected COM 3 115200 Grbl 1.1e Ready.
I power on the laser unit and the blue led lights up. I can move the laser using the arrow keys on screen but the Home icon is black. I burn the 10mm square and it burns ok. If I then click on the X at the top right of the page the laser comes on full power for a short burst and the screen goes to the main page for loading jobs.

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2019, 09:27:33 AM »
It sounds like you just need to re-enable home switches from the setting menu, probably the firmware reset somehow.

The "flash" during power up / down is due to not having a pull down resistor on the laser, that behavior should not have changed.

donwatson

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2019, 04:16:15 AM »
Thanks Zax, I have reset Home Switches in the settings Menu and the little red icon has been restored (and works), unfortunately when I close that screen and return to the home screen there is a full power flash from the laser, in fact if I change between the screens there is a flash every time,does this mean the resistor has failed or maybe its came loose, it was just held in place with hot melt glue ??
I also had a look at the underside of the power supply I have connected to the laser, I have attached a pic. is this supply ok ??

thanks again
Don W