Author Topic: Batch engraving  (Read 324 times)

6Firewall6

• View Profile
Batch engraving
« on: August 11, 2019, 09:26:50 AM »
I have a large amount (100+) of wood token that I need to engrave for a convention and would like to do them in groups to speed up process as I will need to do both sides. Any suggestions on how to line them all up and burn in groups?
2.5w laser A3 size
Mana SE board

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
Re: Batch engraving
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2019, 10:02:57 AM »
What software and what do you need to engrave, raster or vector?

I've done 1,000's of wood tokens over the last couple of years, double sided. I fix a sheet of foamies to my waste board and cut the circles to make a template, then I insert a dozen or more tokens and engrave them. Rinse and repeat, then do the opposite sides.

It helps to have home switches so you can get back to the exact location, using a preset position.

6Firewall6

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2019, 10:42:52 AM »
I am using T2 the image is a raster that I am using auto trace just do the out line of. I do not have the home switches right now but hope to add them soon. I will try the foam sheet to see if i can get it working.
2.5w laser A3 size
Mana SE board

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2019, 10:50:45 AM »
I would suggest rather than tracing in T2Laser, use Inkscape and generate the entire job (6 x 6 or whatever size) and load the DXF.

As long as you don't have Relocate Origin enabled the 0,0 will be kept from Inkscape so you can easily save the circles (used to make a template) and then the array of designs (be sure to delete the circles before exporting or set them to yellow).

ggallant571

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2019, 04:57:39 PM »
You could also burn a target on the waste board to align for multiple runs.
SARCASM - Just one more service we offer here.

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2019, 06:14:42 AM »
Yes you can do that too and for a few items that's what I do but for many multiples I find cutting foamies is quick and easy, then you just drop the wood tokens in the holes.