Author Topic: T2 and Stencils (resolved)  (Read 228 times)

GD George

• View Profile
T2 and Stencils (resolved)
« on: August 19, 2019, 11:20:25 AM »
Hi All,

Trying to cut some stencils based upon "hand-drawn" .jpg images.  My methodology has been to convert the images to vectors (using Inkscape) and then import them as DXF into ProgeCAD. I then add the necessary bridges as 3mm wide polylines and voila! Or not. When I save the image as a dxf and import it into T2, I lose the polyline thickness and my bridges become cut lines. I also tried saving the edited drawing image back to a raster file and still no-dice. What am I missing? Will T2 add the bridges and then skip the CAD?

Thanks!
Jerry
echo4golf

« Last Edit: August 21, 2019, 05:37:54 AM by GD George »

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
Re: T2 and Stencils
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2019, 01:00:52 PM »
 I would need to see the DXF files but it's certainly possible, I have made several stencils in the past.

DXF is vector so the thickness would need to be exported, you need to convert it to a path. In Inkscape that feature is called "Stroke to Path".

You must also join / weld / combine (different software calls it by different names) the bridge to the design or it will just cut it.

GD George

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2019, 01:22:46 PM »
Thanks for getting back, Zax. I've attached the .dxf file.

Are you suggesting loading the bridged .dxf back to Inkscape?

Thanks again!

Edit: I use Progecad, an AutoCAD clone, so I think I can JOIN everything together as a polyline.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2019, 01:24:28 PM by GD George »

GD George

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2019, 01:52:39 PM »
Looking at your sample file, I see what you mean. I thought that I could just lay the bridges over the drawing in a different layer but that wasn't working.  Part of the issue that I'm having appears to be that somehow when I open the .dxf file, I'm getting a bunch of splines rather than polylines and converting the former to the latter is proving difficult for some reason. I should just be able to PEDIT and select the splines but that's not what's happening.

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2019, 05:35:40 PM »
Do you have the image or original vector? It should be a lot easier with those.

GD George

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2019, 05:36:48 AM »
Good Morning,

Here are two files: the original .jpg, and a screen-shot of the file with bridges. (The black areas are the cutouts.) I will try and cut the latter today.

As you can see, using your example I was able to make it work. The bridges were tedious, however, as each had to be taken from the existing polyline (exploded), and then mirrored. The splines from Inkscape had to be individually SPLINEDITed to polylines and then broken. Then each bridge had to be FILLETed four time... 

I'm sure there must be a better way. Any input appreciated as I've got three more of these to finish up.

Best,
Jerry

Edit: wrong jpg originally...
« Last Edit: August 20, 2019, 05:39:42 AM by GD George »

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2019, 06:09:47 AM »
Adding a few stencil bridges is fairly easy in most CAD software or even Inkscape but I think because you scanned the low quality image the vector was poor. If you use a paint program and add the bridges to the image you could just re-trace it - much quicker and easier. It would probably work OK in T2Laser directly doing it this way.

If it's more complex I usually cheat and use Easy Cut Studio (vinyl cutting software) which has a built in stencil feature. You set the width and cut across where you want it.

They have a free trial and are an affiliate (link and discount code on my blog https://t2laser.wordpress.com/2019/02/12/affiliate-partners/). The cheaper version doesn't support DXF but you can import / export SVG and use Inkscape to save the DXF which then works perfectly with T2Laser.

GD George

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2019, 07:59:52 AM »
Thanks Zax. This has been most helpful.

Jerry
echo4golf

GD George

• View Profile
Re: T2 and Stencils (resolved)
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2019, 05:40:03 AM »
So the issue with splines was resolved through the use of Autodesk Fusion 360 and a simple plugin that replaces splines with polylines.