Author Topic: Rescue Project  (Read 1158 times)

ggallant571

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Rescue Project
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2019, 09:51:59 PM »
I don't know how important it is but the person who recommended hairspray to me was insistent that it be unscented. After 2 years I am on the first can. Recently stated using the flex steel plates with PEI. Works great.
SARCASM - Just one more service we offer here.

GD George

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2019, 02:21:48 PM »
Thanks for that. Not sure why it would be important unless heating released nasties from the scent...

GD George

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2019, 03:15:52 PM »
No time to work with the thing for a couple of days. Got home today and haven't done anything but clean the laundry room and rebuild a bit.

Wednesday while I was working on some stuff for work I printed a couple of holders to replace the one on the z-axis, which was broken when I got the printer. I had Jerry-rigged (I'm a Jerry and allowed to do that!) the original but it tended to slip if you looked at it crosseyed. So I installed one of the new ones, zeroed the printer, and re-leveled the bed. Took a bit to get the extruder low enough but I think I'm there. 

Regarding the hot bed issues I've been having, I finally thought to check the power supply and discovered that it was only sending 11v (under load).  I potted it up to 13 and the bed heats up much more promptly.  Hopefully I'll stop seeing the thermal runaway errors now.

Final note for tonight, I think.  I'm printing a spool base right now. I have been leaving the spool on a table and occasionally straightening out the filament as it slipped off the spool.  I just took the spool and put it over a cardboard tube supported by two bins and the print quality improved greatly. I assume that this is because of the tension on the filament being stabilized rather than all over the place. 

Anyway, that's where I am right now works and I'm getting the hang of running it!

Best,
Jerry
« Last Edit: September 13, 2019, 05:40:16 PM by GD George »

GD George

• View Profile
Quick Update
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2019, 05:27:06 AM »
Been having some issues with the filament not sticking to the bed glass.  I think it's because I wasn't running the hot end hot enough. I seem to have got past that. The weirdness now has to do with the machine just stopping.  I watched it sort of happen once towards the end of a print job, when the machine started to slow down, almost pause between movements. It would act this way for a minute or so and then run normally again for a bit.

Last night I was running a longer job. I got the machine started and went to bed. When I got up the machine had stopped.  The job was was not completed but the machine had stopped in place. The tip was still at temperature as was the hot bed. It's acting like a buffer is empty. I'm wondering if it's a USB issue, so I'll try the same job from an SD card this evening.

If it turns out to be a USB issue, I'll muck about with the power saving features on the computer.

On another topic, a hobby store over by one of the places that I teach has ABS (and some PLA) for half off, or about $13 a spool, which is a bit less than MicroCenter or Amazon. I got a couple of rolls of ABS.

Best,
Jerry

Best,
Jerry

ggallant571

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2019, 08:18:55 AM »
The addiction has taken over!!!!!

GD George

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2019, 12:13:59 PM »
It's OK. I can stop any time... Any time... Aneeeee Tiiiiiime!

GD George

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2019, 02:08:47 PM »
Hi All!

Lots to write about, but the short version is that I've made a huge amount of progress with this silly thing.

The biggest thing is I've got my prints to regularly come out at this point using three different PLA filaments. For me the trick wound up being glue stick on the bed. That appears to have resolved all of the adhesion issues in my world for now. Even the black Sunlu PLA+ that wouldn't stick or would regularly un-stick mid-print is happy now. Getting past this hurdle has allowed me to work on slicing and print quality.  I've done so by making some parts including a cover for the wiring and the electronics on the side of the machine and a webcam holder. The kids both have D&D dice holders now too, and as soon as the part comes in to fix the machine, I've got a lithophane sliced and ready to go.

Oh, yeah. I broke the durned thing today.  It all started with a cooling duct that I made last week to put between the fan  and the heat-sink on the extruder.  This was when I has having a lot of adhesion issues (and led to issues with warping... but that's another story.)  I started having issues with what I assume to be heat creep due to the added duct.  The filament would jam or just stop, with the stepper and the extruder gear going "click, click, click."  I decided that the duct was the issue and removed it. Problems went away. For some reason that I didn't document, I put it back and started having the same issues. So I pulled it off again this afternoon, and then started having issues with the dreaded "thermal runaway" error again. I thought I had fixed this by tweaking the voltage on the power supply but when it happened a couple of times in a row, I looked into it.  This time was indeed different in that it's being caused by heater_id 0, i.e. the hot end instead of the bed.  The symptoms are also different. Further inspection revealed that the tip was making temp and then the firmware immediately shuts it down.  Since there doesn't appear to be an issue with the board (although I haven't ruled it out completely) Occam's razor suggests that the thermistor is at fault. I probably tweaked it while I was fussing with the filament earlier. Long story short, I have a new hot end coming via Amazon tomorrow. I realize now that I probably could have just replaced the thermistor, but at the point where I decided the $8 was worth it, I hadn't done the research. I'm guessing that at some point, the buy five for less than $10 will be a good idea though.

The other big thing that I've done is transition away from Repetier. Don't get me wrong, I like it fine, but I think what I like about it isn't worth hooking my printer up to a PC permanently when I have a couple of Raspberry Pis just sitting around waiting for honest work.  So today, after I completely dis- and re-assembled the hot end, I pulled the Pi 2 that I've been using as a front door for my network and set up OctoPi on it. It took a grand total of about thirty minutes and it's every bit as functional as Repetier and Repetier Server. In fact, I like it better so far. There are enough differences between Repetier Host and Server that I find distracting. Also, as I'm not planning to slice on this unit --I have a pretty fast desktop for that sort of thing-- I think it will work out will. The only thing that I haven't found out yet is whether or not it will handle the web cam and the printer at the same time. As soon as I get the machine running (tomorrow if Amazon doesn't screw the pooch again) I'll find that out. It looks like it won't be an issue. And I can try overclocking the beast if it is.  Or maybe on payday, it's time for the RPi 3 plus!

Anyway, once I get the printer working again and moved to its new digs in the garage, I'll post some more pictures.

Best,
Jerry

GD George

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2019, 08:12:35 PM »
Printer was up and running within a day or so. Amazon isn't kidding when they offer next-day delivery. I have a lot to write about but today, I'm going to stick with control. Specifically I wanted to get the printer unplugged from my desktop computer and moved out to the "shop" (i.e. the mess that is supposed to be a garage). I have a PC out there that controls my laser but I also have a couple of Raspberry Pi that weren't really doing anything important.  The printer seemed a likely candidate for one of them even before I discovered OctoPrint in its OctoPi version.  The install was a simple matter of burning the OPi image to a Micro SD card and running the setup wizard.  I've since attached the Pi directly to the printer.  It's a bit Jerry-rigged yet but is looking better and better. The options for controlling the printer include a native androud app that runs on my phone and tablet as well as a really functional browser-based app. Both are snappy and quite functional.  I can use my desktop or laptop to draw and slice an object and then drag and drop it to the RPi through Octoprint.  I can also use the SD card to print, if I want. OctoPrint uploads to the Pi or to the SD card, a functionality that simply didn't work for me in Repetier. 

With the printer out in the garage, I wanted to add a webcam. Octoprint supports this natively, and my Logitech was plug, enable, and play. What's really cool though is that not only can I see the camera through the apps, but Octopring makes it available as an IP cam.  I added OBS studio to my desktop and can stream the cam to Facebook, etc. There's a version for the Pi as well that I may or may not try.

Best,
Jerry

ggallant571

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2019, 08:03:46 AM »
Time to add the voice recognition option. It works just like "Hey Google" on except it is "Hey Octo". If you have the change filament remaining and auto unload properly setup you can pretty much control the whole operation from your phone. Whoever wrote the app did a great job interpreting voice commands. I especially like the "Obscene" mode where I get a sassy reply for trying to do something ridiculous (disable when grandchildren are present).

For instance:

"Hey Octo - print swan in white" will find the swan.stl, load the white filament, print it, remove from print bed.

"Hey Octo - print flowerpot at 4 meters tall in bronze" will reply with "You got to be kidding"

"Hey Octo - print ar15 in carbon pla" will respond with NFW.

Since the printer and laser have a lot in common I am confident that it will soon support the cut/etch cycles.

GD George

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 13, 2019, 02:56:26 PM »
NOOOOOOoooo.....

"OK table saw: when I nod my head, you cut it off."

I'll settle for getting the 3d Touch to work.  I've got the mount printed and installed but have had zero luck getting the printer to see it.  Could be a power issues but more likely --accordning to my research-- I need to update Marlin.  I found a version that was supposedly taylored for the ReprapGuru i3, but it wouldn't load.  Then I put that project on the shelf for a bit.  Price was so low in the 3d touch, though, that I wanted to grab it.

ggallant571

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 13, 2019, 07:06:15 PM »
If you solve the problem please post the solution. I also purchased a cheap one then then did some research. It appears that the 3DTouch is an unauthorized clone of the BLTouch with a reputation for being quite useless as a generic upgrade, Works ok on some printers but fails on most. Chinese marketing at its best - copy,  manufacture, sell, and then check if it actually works.

ThothLoki

• Tinkerer
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 13, 2019, 08:22:32 PM »
If you want a bltouch clone that works decent, get the TriangleLabs version on AliExpress. They are reputed to be pretty much as good as the original.
I have one in my home brew printer
Laser: A5 2000mw with L7 Board / A3 2500mw PWM with Mana SE -- All using T2Laser
3D Printer: Monoprice Maker Select v2.1
Image Resizer Applications (All OS): http://benboxlaser.us/index.php/topic,1434.msg17297.html#msg17297

GD George

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 08, 2019, 12:02:54 PM »
Thanks you two... I've got a possible handle on getting the probe to work by updating the firmware.  In any case, I've been away from the machine for the week.  I was running a piece and discovered that the bed was running full tilt and not shutting off. I guessed the MOSFET is stuck open, and disconnected it. I printed the rest of my CNC router parts. I also ordered a set of mosfets and printed a set of mounts so that I could disconnect the ones on the board. Then I got busy and, with my 244th birthday celebrations coming up it may be a bit before I get back to it. Hopefully next week. For right now I'm trying to get some wood challenge coins together for the coming week.

Best,
Jerry

ggallant571

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 08, 2019, 01:27:25 PM »
OK,  give up. What corner of the world celebrates it's 224th birthday?