Author Topic: Total noobie that tried to upgrade and now wife is ticked!!!!!  (Read 603 times)

bigge313

• View Profile
Total noobie that tried to upgrade and now wife is ticked!!!!!
« on: October 06, 2019, 11:58:43 AM »
So earlier this year I bought a cheap laser from Banggood.  I mainly bought this at the time to make some clocks, presents, and other small items.  After some success making some small items my wife also has decided she likes creating on this and has sometimes taken it over. HA!  No big deal as I am willing to share laser time with her in exchange for well I'll leave that alone.  Her latest project was an oven cover (she saw someone making online with painted stencils and decided she could burn on herself). Pic is attached.  This turned out great and now she wants to make more for other family members.  My problem is this took 40 hours to burn with the current laser. Way too long in my opinion especially on some cheap pine. 

So it was time for an upgrade!  Oh I also wanted to dabble in grayscale for my projects and I read on here that the 2 wire lasers basically don't do grayscale all that well so I figure what the heck and I go back to Banggood and I purchase a 5w laser, a Z axis (why not huh?) and a 3 axis controller.  I spent a better part of a day putting this whole thing together and now it is not working.  When I first turn the unit on the laser comes on and burns for 3-5 seconds.  Which I thought ok no big deal I will just place a scrap piece under laser every time it comes on, not ideal but ok.  Well then I went to open Benbox and nothing works (Oh I forgot to mention she prefers Benbox because she thinks it is simpler to use), no motors move no laser no nothing.  I then open T2 and of course the laser burns for 3-5 seconds again and the I can move the x and Y motors manually so I'm like ok cool it works! Well not so much.  I went to try a test piece and some weird stuff happens.  The X moves just fine the Y goes nowhere.  The laser does come on just not sure if it is actually burning or not I keep shutting it off because I don't want to waste time since the Y does nothing.  Now I'm sure I have to download something or switch some wires but I have no clue what I'm doing and or where do go.  I have no clue if it is even wired correctly or if something else is wrong.  I am trying to attach pictures of everything and hopefully I can get some help and get this running before she makes me put the old laser back on. Oh this is also my first ever post anywhere so I don't even know if I am doing this right hahahaha

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
Re: Total noobie that tried to upgrade and now wife is ticked!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2019, 12:31:11 PM »
Did you use my firmware (Grbl 1.1e DEFAULT)?

I have never heard of a machine not working when using T2Laser and my default firmware.

Of course if you don't have it wired correctly then it may not work correctly.

Benbox is very old and doesn't support anything except the old modified Grbl 0.8, plus it won't support your Z-axis.

Add a 1kohm pull down resistor from TTL+ to GND and you'll get rid of that nasty laser pulse at start-up.

ggallant571

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2019, 02:55:46 PM »
Seems to me there is a very simple solution - purchase another laser for the wife and spend 200 hours fixing yours!!!
SARCASM - Just one more service we offer here.

bigge313

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2019, 03:27:14 PM »
Thanks that got me going as it is at least burning and moving now.  I had uploaded firmware earlier and it must not have taken for some reason.  Now I have a new issue: I was burning a test piece and everything was going good for the first 20 minutes when all of a sudden both the x and y steppers jumped about 1inch up from the last swipe. Any clue there?

Oh I have thought about buying another gantry and hooking the old 3000mw laser up for my wife.  Once I get this running I will probaby do just that.  She can then use bendbox all day long HA!

ggallant571

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2019, 03:55:30 PM »
I would keep the 3W. My 5.5W has a real poor focus.

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2019, 04:15:06 PM »
That's unusual, I could see one stepper doing it but both - are you using diagonal engraving?

It may have been a power spike (electrical noise) or a bad connection.

bigge313

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2019, 04:44:56 PM »
Zak, yes I was on diagonal.  I normally don't but on cheap pine wood the grain messes up straight lines.  Electrical noise makes sense and I will try again tomorrow. 

ggallant, I went to the 5w to save some burn time.  Before the steppers jumped the laser was working perfectly. I actually had to override the laser power and the feed rate because there was a small flame on the wood when the laser came on....... wait could that have been the problem? 

feed rate was set at 1000 and laser mx at 255.  override to 200% feed and 70% laser

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2019, 04:58:44 PM »
Diagonal means it could have been friction causing the motors to stall and lose position, check the belts aren't too tight or you have something causing it to jam (did the cables snag?).

ggallant571

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2019, 05:56:55 PM »
3W is plenty of power to ignite pine. I use a small air compressor. It keeps down the flames and blows away the char.

As Zax said, on 3-wire fixtures you typically need to add a pull-down resistor between the laser ON signal and GND. During CPU reset the CPU I/O pins are set as inputs which float high causing the laser to turn on, You can solder a resistor to the header on the laser module, header on the controller, I/O pin on the CPU board. Some controllers have an additional unused header with the signal routed to it. Zax likes 1K, I prefer 3.3K. It really dosen't matter for our purposes. At a minimum, turn OFF the laser power when resetting the controller.