Author Topic: Stamps? Has anyone made one?  (Read 2354 times)

Nigelnowhere

• View Profile
Stamps? Has anyone made one?
« on: July 08, 2016, 02:40:52 AM »
So I bought some stamp material for my plotter, and I have reservations over what detail I can achieve with it ( and it hasn't arrived yet ). I do have art store bought linoleum block in grey for stamp making and was considering trying it out in the laser.

Has anyone done this? It seems like a logical idea. The medium gray color should absorb the laser and linoleum didn't contain pvc ( if what they sell at the art stores is real linoleum).

So has anyone tried it has anyone found a better material? Thanks in advance.
2500mw Eleks Maker A3 and A5 running GRBL 0.9 and using T2 laser. I have two lasers and I am not afraid to make them work for me.

ROSS

• View Profile
Re: Stamps? Has anyone made one?
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2016, 02:51:26 AM »
Linoleum?...bet it stinks when burned!!
Lasers are wonderful machines..not ONLY  can they cut a finger off BUT  they can also cauterise it at the same time.....

SAFETY -  IS NO ACCIDENT

kibodwin

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2016, 02:58:40 AM »
Rubber (errasers) like here;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUQtxknItCEhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUQtxknItCE
??
I have seen a youtube video (perhaps even by the same chap as the video above) who used a laser engraver...
It should be possible with several passes... what you are looking for is to get some depth.
I plan to try engrave several passes on some wood but I dont think I will get eh resolution needed.
=)
Laser: 2500mw A5 eleksmaker L5, K40 with Cohesion3D mini board, air assist, laser pointer etc..
Software: T2Laser, laserweb4, Repitier, Cura
Prusa i3 Clone GT2560
Anycubic Kossel Delta ramps

kibodwin

• View Profile
Laser: 2500mw A5 eleksmaker L5, K40 with Cohesion3D mini board, air assist, laser pointer etc..
Prusa i3 Clone GT2560

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2016, 04:50:00 AM »
I have made stamps using that cheap EVA foam (sold as "fun foam" or "foamies" in the USA). You can get a big stack of it from Dollar Tree, for, you guessed it $1.

They work OK with paint and are super easy to make.

Now before the safety crowd get on me about toxic fumes, yes it does contain vinyl acetate so gives off Hydrogen Bromide when cut but I consider the levels safe especially if you have suitable venting.

Nigelnowhere

• View Profile
2500mw Eleks Maker A3 and A5 running GRBL 0.9 and using T2 laser. I have two lasers and I am not afraid to make them work for me.

Nigelnowhere

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2016, 05:06:41 PM »
Just wanted to make an update. Engraving linoleum works great!!! I have not tried to cut it as of yet.

After the engraving it looked like there was no depth and that it hadn't engraved. It turned out that the engraved are was filled with some black ash that washed out cleanly.

I ran it at 600 for speed and full power running T2 laser and 2500mw laser.

Nigelnowhere

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2016, 05:10:50 PM »
Oh the size is 30mm x 30mm and it took about 30min to engrave.

Also it's the logo for a friends Taco restaurant.

kibodwin

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2016, 02:28:46 AM »
Very nice Nigelnowhere, did it smell very bad?
Also do benboxlaser forum users get a discount at this taco restaurant?
 ;D
Prusa i3 Clone GT2560

Nigelnowhere

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2016, 01:12:04 PM »
Very nice Nigelnowhere, did it smell very bad?
Also do benboxlaser forum users get a discount at this taco restaurant?
 ;D

Not nearly as bad as I thought it would smell.

I bet if you dropped my name it would help. But then you would need to know my name and where the taco place is.

Andrew

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2016, 03:55:05 PM »
I feel a bit bad about resurrecting an old(ish) thread as a total newbie but guys....be careful of that "lino" stuff, I'm not 100% sure of modern lino but the old type stuff contained a considerable quantity of ASBESTOS.  It may still do so since it would be considered "bonded"...but that "ash you just washed away?????

nottingham82

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2016, 06:41:15 PM »
air assist may help with the ash, but... yeah that would make the asbestos issue worse if thats truely what it is.
Laser: 2500mw A5 eleks maker
Software: T2
http://www.gearbest.com/3d-printers-3d-printer-kits/pp_290386.html Paid $160 in 2016