Author Topic: Firmware Frying  (Read 203 times)

dawicks

• View Profile
Firmware Frying
« on: November 25, 2019, 08:25:05 PM »
So if I flash Zaxxons firmware 1.1e to try out T2 can I somehow go back if it doesn't work? This is the machine I have.

C$ 190.02  51%OFF | 50*65cm Mini 3000MW Blue CNC Laser Engraving Machine 2Axis DC 12V DIY Engraver Desktop Wood Router/Cutter/Printer+ Laser
https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/Cpm45RdQ

Benbox is great cause it's simple but it is very very limited.

Sent from my SM-A530W using Tapatalk

dawicks

• View Profile
Re: Firmware Frying
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2019, 08:28:55 PM »
Or should it be able to run with Benbox firmware on the nano? If so what settings do I need to change?

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2019, 05:33:48 AM »
T2Laser will work with the Benbox firmware for initial testing but some features aren't compatible and you won't get the best performance. I recommend my Grbl 1.1e DEFAULT to get the best from the software.

Benbox only works with their modified Grbl 0.8 firmware so no it won't work after flashing but you should always be able to flash it back to the old firmware again.

If you are concerned about damaging it, just get a spare Nano ($2~3) and keep the original "as is" and flash the replacement with my firmware. Then you can swap back and forth as you want.

dawicks

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2019, 08:53:59 AM »
Thanks for the reply. Are all nanos and their clones pretty much the same?

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2019, 10:06:52 AM »
Yes, as long as it has a genuine Atmel ATmega328p and not the Chinese copy. I've used HiLetGo, Sainsmart and Geekcreit brands with good results but others should perform the same.

I would recommend getting one with the boot loader installed, again this is pretty common except for the non-soldered "kits".
« Last Edit: November 26, 2019, 10:08:51 AM by Zax »