Author Topic: Pin 11 PWM remains after image completes  (Read 45808 times)

Agastar

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Pin 11 PWM remains after image completes
« Reply #75 on: July 14, 2016, 09:42:39 AM »
Yeah, we can definitely build an open source design to do what we need.

For your laser, see if you can get it out from the lens side. The lens comes out and exposes two holes that were probably used to screw in the lens holder.

kn4ud

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: July 14, 2016, 10:14:25 AM »
I got the circuit board out and got the white silicon cleaned out down to the wires from the diode. I have been trying to unscrew the retaining ring but not having any luck so far . I don't know if the silicon is holding it because I went around the edges and cleaned the best I could without using acetone . It may possibly have thread locker in the threads (loctite) I wa thinking of heating the heatsink some with a small propane torch but I don't want to possibly damage the diode. I think I have enough room to solder some wires to the ones coming out of the diode but I would sure like to be able to be able to take this thing completely apart in case I decide to change the diode out at some time. Any suggestions?
Allen

Agastar

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: July 14, 2016, 12:05:26 PM »
I was going to find two steel pins that would fit in there and clamp them down in a vice and then place the laser module down on top of the pins and twist. Not sure how well that is going to work through.

Agastar

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: July 14, 2016, 01:42:40 PM »
so is it still in tact or did the circuit board come off when you pulled the silicone out?

kn4ud

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: July 14, 2016, 03:04:10 PM »
Oh man, that circuit board was completely covered up with the silicon a real pain. I used some long locking tweazers and exacto knife to dig all this crap out. The circuit board, well, it was a fatality.  I have a pin wrench that fits the collar but this thing is sealed in tight. I know it would not have been tightened that tight because I have put some serious pressure on it. I have poured acetone inside it and it is setting now, I hope this will loosen its bond.
Allen

Lob0426

• Global Moderator
  • Let the Magic Blue Smoke out!
    • View Profile
    • Richards RasPi Web Server
« Reply #80 on: July 14, 2016, 03:23:09 PM »
So the fatality is the current limiter. Can you get to the wires? Are you going to be able to solder the TTL driver in its place?
Richard
A5 2.5W w/homing switches on L7
A5 2W diode self upgraded from stock 500mw
Printrbot Play. Ext bed, integrated tablet control.
Printrbot Simple Metal
USA

Agastar

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: July 14, 2016, 03:36:06 PM »
On mine, one of the mounting holes in the heat sink goes all the way to the threads. You could drop some acetone in there too and help disperse it through the threads faster.

On a side note, any pictures?

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
« Reply #82 on: July 14, 2016, 04:38:41 PM »
Oh man, sorry to hear of the fatality but not that surprised. The module with TTL is looking like a better deal for conversion, I think they only have 2000mW or lower but that would likely work for most engraving.

kn4ud

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: July 14, 2016, 04:41:24 PM »
Now we are getting somewhere. After a good hour soaking in acetone and a small cotton ball soaked in it and placed in the mounting hole. It came loose, very very happy I got it apart. I think the diode may possibly be pressed into the brass collar . I was in hope that the brass retainer would be in 2 pieces and the diode sandwiched between the 2 pieces but not that way. I am going to get the dimensions of the collar and thread pitch just encase I decide to make a 2 piece unit that I can swap out diodes in. Here is a picture to check out. If Anyone wants any pictures in a different position let me know. Now I will replace wires and get ready for the next phase.
Allen

kn4ud

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: July 14, 2016, 04:47:21 PM »
Dang, something happened with the picture, sorry here it is.
Allen

Agastar

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: July 14, 2016, 05:05:59 PM »
So the piece with the pin holes is brass? Mine has an aluminum piece with the pin holes. Behind that piece is a brass piece. From what I've read, the diode's are pressed into a host and the host goes into the heatsink.

Yes the TTL module is going to be the simplest option for people wanting to upgrade.

kn4ud

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: July 14, 2016, 06:34:42 PM »
Yes, mine is all brass. I can confirm the diode is pressed in. I don't think it would be hard to make a tool to press it out. The other day when we were talking about the diode test showing kind of low, I did it on the diode and it is .734 now a little up from the .5xx. After a good soaking in the acetone it broke loose pretty easy. LOL, I guess it would be alot easier to buy the ttl laser but I already had the thing and after all the talking we have all been doing I thought it was time to take on the challenge and find out for real what was in this thing. Now we know and people can make up their mind to mod the oem or spend the money for the ttl unit. After doing this I would not hesitate to do it again. Now I am ready to start the ttl conversion and see how it does.
Allen

Agastar

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: July 14, 2016, 07:03:02 PM »
Yeah most people will want an easy conversion and the TTL board will do that. Me on the other hand, I don't much like the idea of putting a current limit circuit in series with another one, especially when I don't know what kind of circuit it is. I will most likely do what you did so I can drive the diode directly. Plus I want to understand what is in those laser modules and how it will react with another circuit doing the same thing.

Another current limit circuit in series with the one in the module may work fine or it may not or it may not work with every module we see come with these machines. Thanks to you we have another option even if it might be more technical. I'll start working on the open source design so we have options. I'm going to order the TTL board from banggood as well for comparison. It is a good price so as long as it is available it is a good option.

kn4ud

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: July 14, 2016, 07:30:32 PM »
I like your Idea their and I am wondering if this circuit in the oem module is the cause of non leaner response it has with t2. I am going to give the ttl driver I have ordered a try but I am very interested in the one you are designing and want to build it and try it out so keep me in mind as a tester.
Allen

Lob0426

• Global Moderator
  • Let the Magic Blue Smoke out!
    • View Profile
    • Richards RasPi Web Server
« Reply #89 on: July 14, 2016, 08:13:57 PM »
Attached is a picture of a 2000mw unit I found on amazon. The higher power ones had brass for both parts. It looks like for the 500mw they do not bother to put a casing on it at all. The text for this laser module stated it needed a heat sink and that you should use heat sink compound to install it into the heat shield.

https://www.amazon.com/445nm-Diode-Copper-Module-Leads/dp/B00HFHMIFG/ref=sr_1_56?ie=UTF8&qid=1468551482&sr=8-56&keywords=laser+module

I would guess the white silicone was to keep condensation off of the circuit board since it was not in a casing (host).

A Sunwin module with a TTL module that looks suspiciously like the one @zax showed us.

https://www.amazon.com/SUNWIN-Module-Engraving-Cutting-Machine/dp/B01CP1K0RY/ref=sr_1_122?ie=UTF8&qid=1468551610&sr=8-122&keywords=laser+module
Richard
A5 2.5W w/homing switches on L7
A5 2W diode self upgraded from stock 500mw
Printrbot Play. Ext bed, integrated tablet control.
Printrbot Simple Metal
USA