Author Topic: How can i tell if a laser will work with T2?  (Read 317 times)

modellermark2

• View Profile
How can i tell if a laser will work with T2?
« on: December 27, 2019, 02:46:21 AM »
Hi Zax and all - and a Merry Christmas!
My kids have had a small laser from Santa and the software is fairly uselesss - how can i tell if i can use T2 with it?
This is the machine: https://www.banggood.com/3000mW-USB-Laser-Engraver-Desktop-DIY-Logo-Mark-Printer-Carver-Laser-Engraving-Machine-p-1338648.html?rmmds=search&cur_warehouse=CN

Thanks for any pointers
Mark

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
Re: How can i tell if a laser will work with T2?
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2019, 03:55:03 AM »
I suspect it could work but probably not without some modification (either to the macine or software). That may be as simple as flashing the firmware but I don't know at the moment.

I just purchased from your link and also a similar NEJE model as I've had a few enquiries on that too, so once it arrives (usually a couple of weeks) I will see what controller they are using and determine the best way to support it with T2Laser.

Send me an e-mail or contact from my https://t2laser.org/contact and we can keep in touch.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2019, 03:56:24 AM by Zax »

filusico

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2019, 01:34:16 PM »
this came to me too
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000083308252.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.1ec64c4dKiFkS6
unfortunately I have a 3d printer with repetier and T2laser cannot generate a coherent gcode.
because it puts the M3 command at the end of the movement G01 x .. y ..

and the repetier doesn't want it on the same line.
would like it so
M3 S255
G01 X10.0 Y10.0
G00 X0.0 Y0.0
how can i get this since among the things that T2Laser does not realize me is the gray scale ???
I activate the M3 S255 from the first line to the end  :'( :'(

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2019, 02:27:22 PM »
In this case a picture may be helpful.

Now I'm not sure all these are necessary or exactly what your machine requires as you only gave a short example but in the Post Processor menu enable these options:
Marlin (Fan)
Marlin (SD)
Custom
Force G
Force G1 F

Then in the custom menu set the on command to "M3 S" and the off command to "M5" and the value to 0.

If this doesn't produce exactly what you want let me know, and obviously you would use Save Machine G-code or send it to the machine if that works with your firmware.

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2020, 08:08:08 AM »
@modellermark2 The Insma K4-3W arrived, wow it is tiny. The bad news is it's not Grbl or G-code compatible, it uses a STM32F running some proprietary interpreter. It appears to have a very limited command set and essentially takes a raster image and stores it to internal memory and then processes it. There is no support for vector, although I can jog the motors there's no actual control on distance or anything useful to enable it to work correctly.

I don't think it's worth the engineering time to support these, the included software does pretty much all the machine is capable of. I may write my own software just because I don't like theirs but I would not integrate with T2Laser as there's no point since most functions aren't possible. This is still a fun toy and very simple, the laser actually looks pretty good for the low price.

The board has 4 x L9110B motor drivers (to run the steppers) a standard CH340 UART (the C model with internal crystal) and the STM32F 32-bit RISC ARM microcontroller (which looks like a Chinese copy).

I've attached a picture of the controller.

ggallant571

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2020, 11:39:57 AM »
These machines used to be advertised at 500mw. Now they are 3W. Magic of Chinese marketing!!!!!
SARCASM - Just one more service we offer here.

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2020, 04:34:06 PM »
This has a fairly nice module, not like the 500mW NEJE model. I plan to measure the output tomorrow but based on limited testing it's at least a 2.5W optical output.

ggallant571

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2020, 06:33:54 PM »
What is the supplied power supply rated at?

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2020, 05:39:13 AM »
3A (36W) but I haven't load tested it or measured current draw yet, I literally just unboxed it and started disassembling it so I could see what IC's they are using and reverse engineer the protocol.

What is the supplied power supply rated at?

ggallant571

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2020, 03:46:44 PM »
I'm still betting on 500mw. The product reviews state 2 hours for engraving images that I would estimate at 30 minutes on a 2.5W module. If if is a usable 3W unit, it would be cheaper than the standalone laser module.