Author Topic: Engraving speeds and times  (Read 416 times)

faceless105

• View Profile
Engraving speeds and times
« on: January 02, 2020, 10:05:42 AM »
Hi I just purchased a 3w laser engraving kit. I haven't turned it on yet, but I'm looking forward to seeing what I can do with it. I wanted to see if there was a good location to look up recommended speed/time settings for different materials based on your current laser?

I'm looking to start with some dollar store picture frames, I'm guessing cheap pine. They're cheap enough that I feel fine experimenting, but thought it might be a good idea to see if there's some kind of index somewhere.

Hokuro

• View Profile
Re: Engraving speeds and times
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2020, 11:11:56 AM »
Hello,
every laser and every material have their settings. you have to do tests.
I for birch use feed 1600 and power 225
my english is very bad, please be patient. :)

ggallant571

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2020, 03:35:14 PM »
Our admin, Ralph, has an excellent tutorial on calibrating you machine for different materials/ Scrap cardboard is a really cheap way to experiment. I use Neon Colored cardstock (available at Walmart and stationary stores) because it reacts to very low pow laser beams.
SARCASM - Just one more service we offer here.

Hokuro

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2020, 10:48:03 AM »
ggallant you often say you use neon cardstock, once you have made the tests how you transform the settings to use them on wood?

ggallant571

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2020, 12:44:46 PM »
I maintain a logbook of laser power, media, etch & cut settings, and a short note on project parameters and results.

The cardstock reacts at low power levels and/or high speeds. I have very limited art skills and even after 500 etchings need to do test burns to verify line widths, especially making sure there is sufficient white space between burns. Running the laser at 3000 mm/min provides a quick visual feedback.

I also recall starting out with expecting the burns to be perfect and ruining good media. Almost every new user on this forum tries to do a finished etching prior to doing primitive calibration tests. Guess its just a cheap learning tool.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2020, 04:51:03 PM by ggallant571 »
SARCASM - Just one more service we offer here.

Hokuro

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2020, 01:57:37 PM »
ok I understand  ;)

mindstorm88

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2020, 07:00:01 AM »
Our admin, Ralph, has an excellent tutorial on calibrating you machine for different materials/

Where can i find it ??  Have not find it yet !!!

Thanks