Author Topic: How to get started with Laser CNC. Newbie looking to start off right.  (Read 1583 times)

LaserCNC_2020

• View Profile
Hello,

New to the forum and laser engraving. I just purchased a 5065cm Engraving Area 3000MW Laser Engraving Machine DIY Kit Desktop Laser Cutting, ID: 1268114 from Banggood. I have assembled the CNC laser but have not powered it up yet. I also did not want to power it up until I receive quality Laser Goggles (hopefully arriving tomorrow).

Couple questions:

1) Should I just skip the Benbox software and go straight to the T2 Laser software? If so, do I need to upgrade/upload any firmware on my machine?
2) Is there a step by step guide on how to setup your CNC and successfully burn your first image? (I'm assuming run a test image for calibration purposes such as circle(s), Square(s), etc. ?)

Thank You for you time.

Best Regards,
-Keith

Banggood - 5065cm Engraving Area 3000MW Laser Engraving Machine DIY Kit Desktop Laser Cutting
- ID: 1268114

ggallant571

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: How to get started with Laser CNC. Newbie looking to start off right.
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2020, 02:30:24 PM »
Our system admin (Ralph, author of BCL - BenCutLaser) has a excellent guide on setting up and calibrating your fixture.

Every media you burn will have different requirements. I maintain a log of media, speed, power, and passes require to etch and or cut various materials. I also use Neon Colored cardstock for most test jobs (burns readily with low power and or fast speeds). Scrap cardboard also is a nice resource to have on hand.

Your choice of host applications is growing with T2 being among the best. They all will play leapfrog as new techniques are developed so evaluating demos can be worthwhile.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2020, 04:44:24 PM by ggallant571 »
SARCASM - Just one more service we offer here.

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2020, 04:02:24 PM »
T2Laser works with any version of Grbl but for best results I suggest my Grbl 1.1 DEFAULT that is included.

I have a getting started guide on my website https://t2laser.org/

ThothLoki

• Tinkerer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2020, 07:24:23 PM »
I recommend anything but benbox software. T2Laser and BCL are great.
I am a T2 user and have not looked back.

Here are some nice videos from A fellow user https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxc7fxNkMC2kn1UwZhzXP9Q
Laser: A3 2500mw with L7 Board / A3 2500mw PWM with Mana SE -- All using T2Laser
3D Printer: Monoprice Maker Select v2.1
Image Resizer Applications (All OS): http://benboxlaser.us/index.php/topic,1434.msg17297.html#msg17297

LaserCNC_2020

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2020, 08:50:48 PM »
Thank you for the replies. In little time (less than 30 minutes), I was able to DL T2 and update the firmware on the Laser, as well as successfully complete a burn of a Circle, Square, and a Bumble Bee. All images looks great as the lines closed in perfectly. My next step is to build an enclosure with lights, a camera, and ventilation to open air.

Best Regards,
-Keith

Banggood - 5065cm Engraving Area 3000MW Laser Engraving Machine DIY Kit Desktop Laser Cutting
- ID: 1268114

mindstorm88

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2020, 04:48:42 AM »
Our system admin (Ralph, author of BCL - BenCutLaser) has a excellent guide on setting up and calibrating your fixture.

I guess i'm blind  :o, it s the second time i read you writing that, but i can't find this guide.... where is it ?

Thanks

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2020, 05:21:07 AM »
I'm not sure what guide he's referring to but there's a getting started guide for T2Laser on my website.

ggallant571

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2020, 07:45:02 AM »
Apparently I was wrong about a printable document. However there is a series of youtube tutorials. I recently watched episodes 3 & 4 which cover setup and calibration.,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XW5lEQPb4mU&list=PL1ApZWLk0_MpBVWumCXkfenyruySqjw89&index=37&t=0s
SARCASM - Just one more service we offer here.