Author Topic: Introduction and benbox program  (Read 379 times)

PLT

• View Profile
Introduction and benbox program
« on: March 10, 2020, 12:03:32 PM »
Thanks for accepting me. Ive been doing woodburning for many years and now my arthritic hands are getting worse - losing fine motor skills.   So i bought 3000mW Blue CNC Laser Engraving Machine. For a week i had trouble installing software so i called the Universal Engraver ti help me via remote desktop connection which they did.    Ive been practicing for 3 days now and i dislike it. It keeps shutting down and doesn’t remember where i left off.  The size i got was 24” x 26” and the program that came with it only allows me to engrave is “postcard size”. I cannot get any bigger on the program’s window.  Im getting frustrated and am thinking of returning the product and get a simple engraver.

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
Re: Introduction and benbox program
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2020, 12:44:02 PM »
What controller / firmware does that machine have?

I've had some Universal Engraver users just install T2Laser and my Grbl 1.1e DEFAULT firmware with success but recently at least one where the firmware wasn't compatible so I would test without changing firmware unless you have a copy of the original to put it back if needed.

ggallant571

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2020, 08:10:17 PM »
I was completely frustrated when I got my first machine. The specs were nothing but lies and the software was worse. Found this site and fell in with a lot of good helpful users experiencing similar problems. That was about 3 years ago. The initial product quality has greatly improved but everything else is the same. The bad news is once you get the hardware/software/firmware straightened out, making more advanced artwork becomes the killer. The good news is the generic machine operation is solvable. These are truly simple machines.

Can you post a link to the product you purchased? Is there a maker space in your corner of the world?

SARCASM - Just one more service we offer here.

sigswood

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2020, 02:36:39 PM »
I too, have purchased the  3000mW Blue CNC Laser for universal engraver, and i do like the machine, I CAN'T stand Benbox.
Here is what i am finding,
On the controller, it is a nano andrino, and it has 2x-axis and 1y-axis and a laser port.
the default firmware did not work for me, and now i do not have a working laser at all, even though, i had a working laser before i flashed the firmware, i think the controller was messing up or something because the laser would be in mid etch and just freeze and not move, and mess up the etch which would have me start all over.  This way i can't mess anything else up as far as material.

just need help figuring out how to get this back working, and would prefer to use t2laser if at all possible as i am reading many people like it much better then benbox, which by the way sucks
« Last Edit: March 13, 2020, 02:45:46 PM by sigswood »

PLT

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2020, 04:18:33 PM »
Thanks for the replies.. I’ll try T2laser..    does T2laser program remember where it left off? I read somewhere that we should stop after 1 hour to let it cool off..  curious - do u stop after 1 hour? This is what happened to me - after one hour (it was 1 hr 45 min to complete), i paused it to cool it off then turned it on after 15 minutes- it went back to the starting point , not where it was left off.

ggallant571

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2020, 07:37:24 PM »
Does  the laser heatsink get hot?
SARCASM - Just one more service we offer here.

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2020, 03:54:26 AM »
There should be no need to pause (stop) with a raster engraving, but if cutting then yes I would recommend pausing to allow the laser to cool down. T2Laser has a cool down feature built-in for this.

You can also pause and resume but as I said it should not be necessary as the laser is no where near full output when engraving so won't get hot is it has a suitable heatsink and fan.