Author Topic: Fill/Stroke Type/Text in DXF files unrecognised by T2  (Read 358 times)

Domthing

• View Profile
Fill/Stroke Type/Text in DXF files unrecognised by T2
« on: April 19, 2020, 05:43:10 AM »
Hello,
I've looked but cannot find an existing topic with the answer, so...

I make line images in Inkscape with bezier tool etc., saving them as SVGs while I work on them, then convert them to DXF simply using the "Save as..." function and selecting DXF as the type. These DXFs look superficially the same, like all content is retained.

However, when I open these DXF files in T2 to burn into card/wood, I always find that no text, nor fill, nor any stroke width/type are recognised by T2. The image shown in T2's window is without any of this content. The laser machine itself can burn that image fine, no problems, just without the missing content.

Where there should be text or a fill, there's blank space. Stroke width/type, however it was set in Inkscape, defaults to a simple line, all the same.

I'm not sure whether it's a SVG-to-DXF problem or a DXF-to-T2 problem, but I'm sure there's a solution, if someone has an idea, that would be much appreciated, thanks a lot.

ggallant571

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Fill/Stroke Type/Text in DXF files unrecognised by T2
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2020, 06:31:04 AM »
I'm Linux based so no T2 for me but use svg on a regular basis. If you post an image with the problem I will do a test burn.
SARCASM - Just one more service we offer here.

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2020, 06:36:49 AM »
You can load the DXF back to Inkscape or a program like QCAD to verify. You will find that strokes and fills are not exported unless you first convert them to paths, the same for text.

In Inkscape you would use, some other programs have an "explode" feature which converts object to paths or in some ungroup does this:
Path / Stroke to Path for strokes
Path / Object to Path for text, hatch fill

Administrator

• Administrator
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2020, 07:02:49 AM »
You would be much better off to learn how to use a CAD DXF program and create your drawings that way. Using a program that has to convert data over to a DXF format is prone to errors.
Admin -- Ralph -- support @ BenCutLaser dot us
https://www.dropbox.com/s/qv1qee2vb65785t/SetupBenCutLaser3.2a.zip?dl=0
BCL Paid license: $49.95
via Paypal to bclpp@primemail.com

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2020, 09:18:43 AM »
@Domthing Inkscape DXF files work with fine with T2Laser (as long as LWPolyline is disabled) but if you ever have any problems just email the file to me and I can check it for you.

Domthing

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2020, 03:14:33 AM »
I'm Linux based so no T2 for me but use svg on a regular basis. If you post an image with the problem I will do a test burn.

Hello, thank you - been a while since I looked here for replies to my problem. Attached (hope I've done it right) are SVG and DXF images with solid black fill in parts, which I would like to burn as such. But T2 will only burn the outlines.
If you could guide me at all, that would be great. Many thanks
D

Domthing

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2020, 03:30:41 AM »
You can load the DXF back to Inkscape or a program like QCAD to verify. You will find that strokes and fills are not exported unless you first convert them to paths, the same for text.

In Inkscape you would use, some other programs have an "explode" feature which converts object to paths or in some ungroup does this:
Path / Stroke to Path for strokes
Path / Object to Path for text, hatch fill

Thanks - but to convert stroke/fill to paths, is it just highlighting the items and selecting Path / Stroke to Path or Path / Object to Path - so far that hasn't worked, when I open the DXF this content doesn't come across. Maybe I'm missing something simple in the converting process.

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2020, 04:11:59 AM »
I replied to your email.

There are a number of problems with your DXF, first there are several open shapes which can't be filled correctly and then all the other shapes have double lines. I confirmed this by opening the file in QCAD and Inkscape.

I used the SVG and removed the fill and stroke so I could see the actual paths (these are what will be exported as DXF, since it's a vector format). To fix the open shapes I applied a stoke and used stroke to path, then removed the fill and stroke to see the result which was correct, then I saved the DXF. I then filled it and exported as PNG.

So now you can either load the PNG or the DXF and select Sketch Filled and they will both be as you expect.

- Zax

ggallant571

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2020, 08:43:02 AM »
Zax - you are getting pretty good at finding/fixing these DXF problems.
SARCASM - Just one more service we offer here.

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2020, 04:10:28 PM »
I have a lot of practice  ;D