Author Topic: Are the green glasses from Chinese kits safe?  (Read 1931 times)

Yoshi

• View Profile
Re: Are the green glasses from Chinese kits safe?
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2016, 03:15:26 PM »
The good thing about the blue lasers is that they only emit around 445 to 450 nm so you do not have to worry about any infrared or UV radiation. This means if you can't see the laser anymore through the glasses you are more or less safe (unless the laser burns through your glasses or a direct reflection is intense enough to get through the glasses )

The green glasses that came with the laser do not block that much. Maybe around optical density 2? So if a direct reflection hits your eye they wont save you.
I also have red laser safety glasses which block a lot more and I can't see the laser beam anymore. Of cause I would never look into the beam!
However I would not consider them completely safe either since they have no rating and I don't know how much they block. I could hold them into the laser beam and look if they completely block the laser but I don't want to since this would probably burn a hole into the glasses and just prove that they are not safe.

I you want to be safe you should buy glasses that are rated OD 5 or more for 445nm.
something like that: http://www.edmundoptics.de/lasers/laser-safety/honeywell-safety-eyewear/narrow-spectrum-laser-gard-safety-eyewear/64369/

However I am not even trying to comply with laser safety regulations since there are a lot of necessary things I just can't implement at my home. An interlock and turnkey for the laser, proper laser safety goggles, warning sings, ventilation of toxic fumes, a plate below the laser that won't burn through even if the laser stops moving for a longer time. It's a long list.

Please be very careful when using those lasers! Try not to look at the focus point of the laser, keep everything reflective away from the working area and make sure no guests or pets are around when you are turning the laser on.

beikeland

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2016, 06:55:30 PM »
I got these one from Amazon. They cut the brilliance of the beam compared to the green glasses. They came in a zippered case. They only work over small reading glasses, if you need glasses.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009T6RN0G/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I just noticed that amazon page recommends the green glasses for UV and the red for blue laser. And at 405nm isnt it closer to UV than blue?

Lob0426

• Global Moderator
  • Let the Magic Blue Smoke out!
    • View Profile
    • Richards RasPi Web Server
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2016, 07:15:18 PM »
With the red you just see the Laser spot, you cannot see the beam.
Richard
A5 2.5W w/homing switches on L7
A5 2W diode self upgraded from stock 500mw

Experimenting with Mega2560 board upgrade

Administrator

• Administrator
  • Pilot Instructor
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2016, 07:52:59 PM »
I have a bunch of laser safety goggles from all the laser stuff I've bought from China...they are all stacked up on my work shelf as I don't use any of them.

I purchased these laser safety goggles from Darkly Labs, the makers of the Emblaser DIY kit:

https://darklylabs.com/product/eagle-pair-eye-protection

They give the wave length (nm) rating AND the Optical Density (OD) rating (6). I also decided to purchase these because they are big and fit easily over my glasses.

I've been following their Emblaser laser machine for the past 12 months and notice they are now taking orders for their Emblaser II for $1,200.00. Their laser is nothing but a luxury version of a Banggood type DIY laser machine with priority software. Their software is nice but you're locked into using only that. Their laser diode is around 4 to 5 watts. The II is a very attractive looking machine but I'm not sure I'd pay $1,200.00 for one.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2016, 07:53:57 PM by Administrator »

Lob0426

• Global Moderator
  • Let the Magic Blue Smoke out!
    • View Profile
    • Richards RasPi Web Server
« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2016, 08:01:30 PM »
I would not pay that for one. I can get a 50W machine for that price or not that much more and have 80W to 100W!

But then there is a reason you see Benbox machines for $700 on ebay and Amazon. There are people that just do not research a product. They buy those expensive machines thinking they are getting a better value.
Richard
A5 2.5W w/homing switches on L7
A5 2W diode self upgraded from stock 500mw

Experimenting with Mega2560 board upgrade

ggallant571

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2016, 08:20:24 PM »
And then they come here because the tech support is still zip.
SARCASM - Just one more service we offer here.

Administrator

• Administrator
  • Pilot Instructor
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2016, 08:56:33 PM »
And then they come here because the tech support is still zip.

Actually, they have their own forum -- but -- they do not let you ask questions (pre-sales or other wise) -- unless -- you have purchased one of their machines. So, if you have any questions, you have to buy it first and then you can ask  :o

I don't think any of their users would come here for any help because the Emblaser is a closed system...the software is all under the control of Darkly Labs and it is a highly controlled licensed OEM verison...so their users have to make use of their forum.

I have read many many posts on their forum and have never seen anyone asking about what firmware they are using, so I have no idea what they are using or who wrote it/owns it. Their users don't seem much interested in the controller board, microprocessor or firmware that is being used...and I guess maybe that's because there is nothing they can do to change it (if they wanted to).

By contrast, our laser machines are very open and expandable and cost much less. The founder, Dominic, and I have exchanged some emails in they past. I had some questions that he answered since I could not post on his support forum.

The Emblaser One was really a Banggood type of DIY machine in disguise...and it was over priced in my opinion.

I can tell you that what our Cam-Tech NC Team is developing for our laser machines for expansion and greater capabilities goes beyond what even the Emblaser II is offering. To be clear, what the Emblaser II is offering is very attractive and is a much improved version over their first generation DIY laser...but the II DIY is still very expensive for a 5/6 watt laser diode.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2016, 08:59:00 PM by Administrator »

beikeland

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2016, 03:27:31 AM »
I purchased these laser safety goggles from Darkly Labs, the makers of the Emblaser DIY kit:

https://darklylabs.com/product/eagle-pair-eye-protection

They give the wave length (nm) rating AND the Optical Density (OD) rating (6). I also decided to purchase these because they are big and fit easily over my glasses.
Those looked nice, reasonably priced too (in AUD); unfortunately the shipping cost more than the googles, and put it over my duty free limit so they'll end up costing me about 3-4x times the value of the googles. Maybe next holiday goes to Australia  ;D

jtice

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 15, 2016, 06:36:55 PM »
I got these one from Amazon. They cut the brilliance of the beam compared to the green glasses. They came in a zippered case. They only work over small reading glasses, if you need glasses.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009T6RN0G/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Got a set of these the other day, they block WAAAAAY more than the green ones that came with my engraver.
They are more annoying to wear, since you really notice the red coloration, I can certainly see better to work on other things near the engraver while its running with the green ones.
I plan to use the red ones any time I am looking directly at the engraver, and the green ones when I am tinkering with other things while near the engraver.
WELL worth the price, get you some.!

ggallant571

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 15, 2016, 07:15:16 PM »
I got one today and the difference is significant. Much better at blocking the laser light. The frame with sliding extensions is identical to the green.
SARCASM - Just one more service we offer here.

Agastar

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 16, 2016, 06:48:11 AM »
Same here. I have to switch to the green ones to focus or I can't see it at all.

beikeland

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 28, 2016, 03:43:11 AM »
I found the red OD6+ on Ali express at a price to get below my duty free import, so I crossed my fingers and hoped it would be the real deal.

Came complete with CE certificate (no way to verify authenticity though) and they do perform remarkably well compared to the green goggles so I presume its all good. Protective casing was branded Eagle Pair, but thats of course no guarantee in China, but still, they do work much better, and I'll try to get some testing done with a ML8511 to see that there is no significant UV leakage that I cannot see.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Laser-goggles-protective-200-540nm-532nm-green-eyewear-glasses-OD6-CE-safety/32663881616.html

Administrator

• Administrator
  • Pilot Instructor
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 28, 2016, 08:19:51 AM »
Those look like the ones I bought from the folks who make the Emblaser laser machine...very nice glasses...

ThothLoki

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 25, 2016, 11:34:42 AM »
I went and bought new glasses from survival laser.com. Their customer support was excellent when emailing them with questions. I asked about some OD4 glasses for $62.00 and they pointed me to OD6 glasses for $49.99. They really seem to want to give you the best for your $$

I bought 2 pairs of these: http://www.survivallaserusa.com/Eagle_Pair__190-540nm_OD6_Slip_Over_Laser_Safety_Goggles/p1667092_7862524.aspx. I should get them in the mail today. I will post an update on how well they work compared to the green Chinese glasses from the kit.

$50 is nothing compared to one's eyesight.

TL
Laser: A5 2000mw
Software: T2L
Image Resizer Application: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ce1gh5graqhrlxo/AAAtsRKBVhR8Z0giSKID_ZAla?dl=0

ThothLoki

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 25, 2016, 09:49:56 PM »
So, the glasses got delivered. They fit really nice and work pretty well.
They came with nice hard cases and cleaning cloths (see picture).
I highly recommend these. I put the cheap green glasses for comparison.
Laser: A5 2000mw
Software: T2L
Image Resizer Application: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ce1gh5graqhrlxo/AAAtsRKBVhR8Z0giSKID_ZAla?dl=0