Author Topic: New wheels  (Read 1436 times)

pedwards2932

• View Profile
Re: New wheels
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2020, 04:20:51 PM »
I got the prototype built and looks good so far.  I need to tap out the holes....I hope they are going to hold.....if not I'll probably have to redesign to use some thread inserts.  I was hoping it wouldn't require a lot of force to hold it in position.

ggallant571

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2020, 07:24:06 PM »
Thanks for the pointer. Did some further digging and came across G8 lens. Sounds interesting so I ordered one. Think it will be necessary to build a small fixture to test the various lens.
SARCASM - Just one more service we offer here.

pedwards2932

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2020, 03:28:06 PM »
Okay I mounted the prototype and it looks like it is going to work.  I was able to tap the holes on the side.  I found that a tap was too aggressive with the PLA so I used the screws as taps and it worked great.  I can lower the laser to about an inch off the burn board.  I think the original set up had the laser almost 4 inches from the burn board so this should improve the lens I was using as well.

ggallant571

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2020, 04:05:39 PM »
Wiggle, Wiggle. Looks to me like its time to raise the waste board.

I use extruded steel positioned about 12mm (1/2 inch) up. Three advantages:
  1.  Can use magnets to hold the material stable.
  2.  When cutting both the laser beam and air assist get to pass thru.
  3.  Greatly reduced charing on the bottom. 

I understand that aluminum honneycomb works better except for the magnetics which is my primary use. Especially useful for etching veneers and other thin wood.

Time for that test burn at 5000 mm/min with tight corners!!!

pedwards2932

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2020, 04:16:44 PM »
I cut balsa and occasionally plywood and fast as I go is about 400 mm/minute.  I don't do any engraving.  If it doesn't work I am only out my time and couple bucks of materials.

ggallant571

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2020, 04:57:35 PM »
I got started with the intention of cutting 1/4 inch acrylic. Saw a video of a 5.5W diode cutting clear acrylic with ease. Zax of T2 laser fame, explained the fraud and I was ready to trash the thing. Steve Nottingham, a heavy contributor at the time, posted about etching on slate. Spent the $3.50 for a pack of four and was hooked. Now it is 90% etching and the remaining 10% do cuts to support etchings. Original project/use sits idle.

I have a good selection of balsa but never got it to cut cleanly. What do you make?

pedwards2932

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2020, 05:49:42 PM »
Model airplanes mostly rubber powered so I use light balsa which is easy to cut.  So far it has worked pretty good but I am looking to improve the cutting.  I have a G2 lens and I want to see how well it cuts.

pedwards2932

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2020, 06:27:42 AM »
As is the usual case when you are making a mod...something becomes a problem.  The spacers that were used with the old set up are longer because the wheels are narrower.....not an issue in the x axis but a problem with y axis because the x axis track no longer fits.  I tried printing spacers from Thingaverse but they were the same size as my old ones (10 mm)  I measured it out and there is about a 6.76 mm gap so I reduced the spacers to 6.62 mm, hopefully this will fix the problem.  Thought about trying to cut the old ones down but that would be a pain to set up and be accurate.

ggallant571

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2020, 06:50:22 AM »
You do realize this is a test of your mental stamina. The diode knows it has a life expectancy of 2000 hours and is creating obstacles to so that it will never be turned on.

pedwards2932

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 27, 2020, 07:14:40 AM »
Definitely trying my patience..light bulb should have gone on when I see the wheels are wider and on the y axis the bolts were barely long enough to mount the wheels.

ggallant571

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 27, 2020, 07:23:48 AM »
Bright light bulbs require fresh batteries. My died years ago. Now the gremlins hiding in "should be easy projects" are having a field day.

Hokuro

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 27, 2020, 12:53:11 PM »
 :D :D :D
my english is very bad, please be patient. :)

pedwards2932

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 28, 2020, 08:33:30 AM »
All finished with new belts and belt anchors.....laser is completely square....let the testing begin.

pedwards2932

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 28, 2020, 03:48:44 PM »
Did some testing and using the Endurance chart for focal distance for the 3 element lens (which is what I have in it now)  I tried it at the original distance which is about 4 inches and was able to get a reasonable focus line that cut thru 3 index cards.  I lowered it to 65 mm which was recommended in the Enderance chart and refocused and was able to get a really thin line and cut thru 4 index cards.  Then I tried some hard !/8" balsa and focused it to a fine line and 2 passes cut completely thru kerf was minimal.  I have always had a hard time with the harder balsa but this looks like a perfect cut.  I did some 1/16 hard balsa and it cut thru on first pass but not completely.  Second pass and it was completely thru.  I didn't use air assist at all and I was cutting at 300  mm/min.  Tomorrow I plan on trying the G2 to see how it does. 
First pic - Is 1/8 Hard Balsa upper right cut is 2 passes all the way thru
Second pic - running focus lines on 1/16" hard balsa - top line is 2 passes all the way thru.
I will be able to test my bracket on a cut file soon but it seems to work fine.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2020, 03:52:09 PM by pedwards2932 »

pedwards2932

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 30, 2020, 05:10:58 AM »
Found an issue with lens being loose.  I put a spring behind the lens and it tightened the adjustment but the lens could still move so I used some Teflon tape.  I was also having an issue with the balsa I was using as I seemed to get more surface burn.  Not sure if this isn't because I handled the wood a lot?  Anyway with a new piece of wood the focus and burn came out perfect.  Will see if I can get better results with a G2 lens.  I plan to buy a G7.  Anyone try these: https://www.sanwulasers.com/product/lenses  I think the Banggood laser has a 9mm holder?