Author Topic: Colors in PDF not picked up by T2. (Solved)  (Read 330 times)

Maarten65

• View Profile
Colors in PDF not picked up by T2. (Solved)
« on: June 08, 2020, 06:58:20 AM »
I have a PDF containing different colors. When I import the file in T2 all colors are replaced by black.
Am I overlooking a setting here?
« Last Edit: June 12, 2020, 01:02:42 AM by Maarten65 »
T2 Laser v1.5y / GRBL  1.1e / Eleksmaker Mana V5.2 / windows 10 home, version 10.0.18362
Autodesk Inventor 2020 / Autocad 2020

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
Re: Colors in PDF not picked up by T2.
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2020, 11:05:37 AM »
If you look at the DXF file that is generated by the PDF to DXF converter it is being loaded correctly. I suspect the issue is the paths are all black but there are some layers or other features in the PDF that makes them appear to be colors. It would be easier if you use a DXF rather than saving PDF and converting it.

Maarten65

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2020, 05:11:22 AM »
Thanks for the comment Zax.

I am still defining a route from 3D modelling to the laser cutter.

At this moment the route is as follows:

1 Create 3D model in Autodesk Inventor.
2 Create drawing of model in Inventor
3 If needed, add extra engraving lines in the drawing manually.
4 Save the Inventor drawing as DXF R12 file.
5 Use QCAD to explode all objects (hatches, text) to polylines
6 Save the QCAD drawing as DXF R12 file.
7 Import the  DXF in T2Laser
8 Create NC

Although it looks a long way, this isn't really the case.  25% of the steps are done automatically with some home made code. The inventor drawing contains hatches which will be translated as separate lines. (step 5) This way I can create custom hatch patterns which follows the borders of surfaces automatically when I change the size of these surfaces in 3D. Same goes for text blocks.

The things I am struggling most with are the settings in T2Laser. This has to do with my lack of experience of the software. :)

Last night I was halted by another setting behavior. (I think)  I have a DXF file (Thanks for the sugestions Zax, I dropped the PDF route here) which contain colors at line level, not on layers!
After the DXF file (step 7)  the colors are shown correctly. (Huray!) But when I create a nc file, I see all power values are set to 255. And I wanted to control the power of the laser by these colors.

DXF options set:

on - Engrave and Cut
on - Absolute DXf colors , 0  (I have read the line in the  manual several time but don't understand what this value does?)
on - Force Splines
on - Reverse DXF segments
on - Skip minimum power
on - Combine path

The preview only shows one color, blue.  Shouldn't this be all the colors which are also visible when open the dxf file?

The NC doesn't have any speed corrections, all are 255. Why?
« Last Edit: June 10, 2020, 05:13:37 AM by Maarten65 »
T2 Laser v1.5y / GRBL  1.1e / Eleksmaker Mana V5.2 / windows 10 home, version 10.0.18362

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2020, 05:25:44 AM »
See attached, these were generated using default values. One as loaded and the other with DXF relocate origin and optimizer enabled.

The time reduced from 1:56 to 1:02, almost 50% savings by using my DXF optimizer (if not selected the sequence is defined by the DXF order, you can see this in QCAD).

It looks like you enabled Absolute DXF Colors and set it to 0, so all colors are then the same. Usually this is not selected and the colors will be spread across the entire power or feed rate range, if it is selected this is the % of change, so the default 20 would mean black is 100%, red 80% and so on. If you don't understand a feature, leave it on the default setting as that will generally be correct and give you the desired result. To reset to defaults click Restore Defaults in the Help menu.

Maarten65

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2020, 07:22:35 AM »
Thanks Zax, this makes clear for me now. :)

I reset the values to default and studied the different behaviors again.

On thing I cannot see the effect of is the option to control the sequence of the colors. I found the following options available:

1    DXF option  - DXf Optimizer - Use color for Sequence
2    DXF option - Select output color - Sequential

As described in the manual I want to use the following sequence:
 "DXF Optimizer - Use DXF colors to determine cutting sequence (Yellow, Green, Blue, Orange, Red and Black) "  So cutting (black) will be the last action.

But the sequence ins't changed in any way. I am still testing with the same attached files.

Btw this is my setup:
« Last Edit: June 10, 2020, 07:29:48 AM by Maarten65 »

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2020, 08:36:49 AM »
That is exactly what it does, make sure you have a checkmark next to DXF Optimizer before you load the file or right click to activate the optimizer.

If you are using Engrave and Cut that will override the optimizer but will do black last using multi-pass for cutting.

That's a fantastic setup, did you make the enclosure?

Maarten65

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2020, 10:41:19 AM »
Hi Zax,

The right click did the trick. I didn't knew this option. Thanks.

I build the box, fans, tray and cover myself.

Designed in Inventor:

Built the box in the garden during a week:

And all to build a model of an engine shed:

Made the walls and beams of the roof from 3mm MDF:

The beams in the walls are imitated by cut cardboard sheets and glued on the MDF walls, here a trial with cheap paper first:

Sorry to keep asking questions, but the following dxf file shows differently in the previewer. It is a part of a model of an engine shed. In this case the wooden floor. The DXF file shows fine, including all the planks. It opens without any errors in T2Laser. But after reading it in T2 and sending it to the laser, the preview shows some planks with diagonals instead of parallel lines representing the planks.

Can you replay this on your side as well? And if so, what can be the reason?

Best regards,
Maarten

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2020, 11:40:32 AM »
It seems too small, but loads and looks OK on the simulation "view" to me.

That is really impressive work, the machine cabinet and the shed.

Maarten65

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2020, 01:02:12 AM »
Now Its working as it should be.
 I use qcad to explode and set colors correct in dxf format. Qcad has options to do scripting. Mmm, this can make my work maybe easier. 😀

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
Re: Colors in PDF not picked up by T2. (Solved)
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2020, 04:07:52 AM »
You can also easily change the sequence of the paths.... cut those centers first  ;D

GD George

• View Profile
Re: Colors in PDF not picked up by T2. (Solved)
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2020, 04:21:42 PM »
OT post, but the cabinet and the model are both really cool!

Jerry