Author Topic: New to the Group.  (Read 198 times)

irishwarrior58

• View Profile
New to the Group.
« on: June 09, 2020, 07:31:50 PM »
Greetings!
I am new to this forum and I bought the laser that was featured on amazon.
7000mW Large Working Area CNC Engraving Kits, GRBL 7000mW 40x30cm 2 Axis Milling CNC Router Used As Wood Carving Machine For DIY Logo Engraving And CNC Cutting
by KKTECT
I have the whole thing assembled and now....I have it connected to my laptop running Win10.
Looking as to why the laser wouldn't power up, I found my answer on this forum, so THANK YOU! I took the cable to a computer repair place and the tech switched the red and the yellow wire and it works.
NOW, however...I have the GRBL program and it will not connect. I am using the USB that came with the system, it's using comport 6 and the baud rate it's set for is 115200.
Before I go any further, I have an AAS in electronics, so I am familiar with what I am doing...
I have read and reread the manual, the website for the GRBL and I am stumped.
I have tried to flash the memory  on the board. It just spins...and I left it for an hour. The USB thumb drive it came with has the all the software but I am a bit wary of it's usefulness.
This thing is driving me to drink...almost! I can use the smaller board that attaches to the main board to move the X and Y axis, turn the laser on (which never completely turns on) and a few other cool things, but no movement, no laser to shine down on the surface, and it does nothing else.
I am going to have a sh*t ton of questions. I'd love to make things like I've seen on here, but I have to get the system to work, FIRST!
HELP!!!
Thank you in advance!

ggallant571

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: New to the Group.
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2020, 10:29:32 PM »
I would start by trying to get the info on the embedded firmware. From a terminal emulator (teraterm) just type "$$". If the controller is running standard GRBL you should get a reply. Some utilities such as T2, BCL, UGC, etc have options to invoke and display runtime parameters. BTW - not all controllers use grbl or 115200 baud.

If your controller does not run grbl you can build and download the firmware. Suggest you get a Nano or two when experimenting with firmware. The newer genuine Nano's come with a updated bootloader at 115200 baud. The cheaper clones often come with the older style bootloader at 57600. The newer is also half the size of the older which is important as the grbl-1.0 is at the limit.

If you use T2 it has builtin procedures and prebuilt firmware available.
SARCASM - Just one more service we offer here.

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2020, 03:56:31 AM »
HELP!!!

Welcome, as you've already discovered there's a lot of information on this site.

So you say it connects to COM6 @ 115200, do you see a Grbl welcome message? It will depend on the firmware that is loaded on your controller but there should be a welcome string sent from the Nano after it boots-up and is ready to start receiving commands.

What software are you using?

irishwarrior58

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2020, 03:41:54 PM »
The Flash drive has the X loader in Chinese. I downloaded an new X loader in english. Hex File loader. I am going to hook it up this afternoon and see if I can flash the memory. All I get is a Help $ $ when it tries to connect. I went into the Device mangler and changed the com port to 115200 in the settings. I am hoping that I can figure it out. This is aggravating that I cannot get it to run.
The system comes with BenBox (in Chinese) and GRBL in English. The one in English responds better and I have been able to move the X and Y by the smaller board that is attached to the main board by a gray cable. It has the words File, Start and something else that I don't remember at the moment. I hate to send it back because of something that I am missing but day by day, the frustration is growing. It talks about G Code and I am trying to learn that. It seems that it's similarly close to a machine language that I took in 85-86.
I hope that I can get enough information here to get to use it. It seems really cool, but it's taking a lot of work.
Thank you, All!

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2020, 04:40:27 PM »
It sounds like your controller has Grbl loaded and came with a remote so I would not replace the firmware. You will brick the controller and/or remote and it isn't necessary.

When you connect it says something like "Grbl 1.1e ['$' for help]" or probably 0.9i but that means you are connected and the machine is waiting for commands, but you will need to use software to generate and send G-code, that's what T2Laser, BCL and others are for. I would not use Benbox but that's your choice.

*** Grbl is firmware loaded on your controller, I think what you are refering to is Grbl Controller which is a 3rd party terminal program with a similar name but unrelated.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2020, 04:43:55 PM by Zax »