Author Topic: Replacement laser for 1600mW Banggood laser head  (Read 260 times)

dohickey

• View Profile
Replacement laser for 1600mW Banggood laser head
« on: June 14, 2020, 11:47:36 AM »
Hello everyone,

I'm cutting thru birch for the first time and it is a rather intricate piece... but it is taking FOREVER! I knew my little laser was not going to be efficient with cutting, but this is silly.

How do I determine if a replacement laser will work with my current system? What's the highest power I could theoretically go? What are the important items to consider? I'm a computer and electronics guy, but I know I don't have enough knowledge to make an informed decision.  Like this laser, I have no idea if it would work with my setup, but that is the kind of increase in power I'm after.

https://www.banggood.com/LA03-7000-445nm-7000mW-Blue-Laser-Module-7W-Fixed-Focus-DC-12V-TTLPWM-Modulation-w-Heat-Sink-DIY-Laser-Engraver-Machine-for-EleksMaker-p-1127310.html?cur_warehouse=CN

Help is appreciated.

ggallant571

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Replacement laser for 1600mW Banggood laser head
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2020, 12:56:36 PM »
What is the thickness you need to cut? Do you have an air assist to remove the char? Cutting ability is determined by the energy per unit area. The sharper the focus the better. My 1.6W has a significantly smaller dot size than my 3.5W.
SARCASM - Just one more service we offer here.

ThothLoki

• Tinkerer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2020, 10:11:24 PM »
Air assist and a better lens could make all the difference
Laser: A3 2500mw with L7 Board / A3 2500mw PWM with Mana SE -- All using T2Laser
3D Printer: Monoprice Maker Select v2.1
Image Resizer Applications (All OS): http://benboxlaser.us/index.php/topic,1434.msg17297.html#msg17297

dohickey

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2020, 08:05:20 AM »
ggallant571/ThothLoki,

Thank you very much. I had never heard of air assist. Without even googling it I could immediately imagine its use. Now I am going to do just that. Does anyone have any links or images that could help me? Right now I'm imagining some 1/8" tubing with a manual flow control valve from my air compressor running down the back side of my laser head with a little "nozzle" of some kind.

ggallant571

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2020, 08:47:57 AM »
My easiest (and still in use) air nozzle consists of a basketball inflator needle, small length of copper wire, flexible hose, and air compressor.

Fabrication:
  1. Cut back the pointed end of the needle to expose the insides.
  2. Wrap a few turns of 16 gauge copper wire around nozzle and attach the other end of the wire to the laser heat sink assembly.
  3. Connect the input side of the needle to a small air compressor with flexible tubing.

Notes:
  1. Have tried four different compressors ranging from aquarium to air tool and currently use a compressor
      intended for air brush. You do not need high pressure
  2. The copper wire allows for easy adjustment of nozzle position.
  3. Some other forum member(s) have used an output from the controller to control an ON/OFF solid state relay.
SARCASM - Just one more service we offer here.