Author Topic: Another TTL Module Question  (Read 672 times)

MarcusJ

• View Profile
Another TTL Module Question
« on: June 22, 2020, 08:23:00 AM »
Hi Folks,

I just bought a 5W module with an outboard controller (see attached) to upgrade my cutter.  It needs a 5v TTL signal in. 
I've been away from my laser setup for awhile, and seem to have forgotten almost everything I learned about configuring the hardware, so I'm back at the bottom of the learning curve again.  I have a Mana 5.2 board, running a 3-axis setup with a 2.5W non-TTL module.  The laser is currently connected to the motor output, and PWM seems to be working to control the intensity.

I've been reading through the threads here, and I think I have a handle on what I need to do, but before going ahead and letting the magic smoke out, I thought I'd check and get some confirmation.

So as I understand it from reading the thread here, I'm going to:
i) power the laser with an independent power supply into the 12v in on the board.
ii) connect the Analog - input to the Servo ground on the Mana
iii) connect the Analog + to the Servo PWM on the Mana.
iv) set the selector on the board to TTL.
v) cross fingers and hope!

Sound about right? TIA for your advice!

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
Re: Another TTL Module Question
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2020, 09:36:39 AM »
I think your description is correct, but attached may help.

Obviously your laser module has separate power and TTL inputs but the concept is the same, power it direct from a 12VDC supply and connect the Mana - (GND) and S (TTL) to the TTL input and you'll probably need the common ground connection although not always.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2020, 09:38:03 AM by Zax »

ggallant571

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2020, 09:56:32 AM »
I have a couple diode lasers with the two 2-pin headers. Made a cable that mates with the 3-pin header on the controller and at separates into the two 2-pin connectors at the laser end. Soldered the GNDs together near the laser end. On one module the internal GNDs are connected, on the other isolated. Cable works with both.

A 5W diode module requires more current than a 2.5W. Make sure your power supply is sufficient.
SARCASM - Just one more service we offer here.

MarcusJ

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2020, 12:41:37 PM »
Thanks for the confirmation!
Just to be clear (I'm a belt-and-braces kinda guy), since my board is a little different from the one Zax posted, I'm going to be using the GND and PWM pins from the Servo port (circled), correct?

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2020, 01:22:47 PM »
Well technically the orange connector (laser) and the GND/PWM pins but they are the same so if you prefer the servo connector then yes.

MarcusJ

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2020, 06:58:52 PM »
OK, thanks.  I was looking at the pin voltage, and wasn't sure what the PWM voltage would be on the laser socket. The laser's currently running off the "other" port.  Do I have to do anything to re-map it, or are they all firing the same signal? I'm using BCL (sorry Zax!).

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2020, 03:57:21 AM »
The PWM signal (on both connectors) is a TTL output from the Nano D11 pin.

I will defer to Ralph on BCL settings as I've never used it.