Author Topic: I made a square image file but it comes out oval.  (Read 85 times)

Tom

• View Profile
I made a square image file but it comes out oval.
« on: June 29, 2020, 02:30:33 PM »
I made a small sign 4" x 4". It has a circle outline in it. I made it in Photoshop and saved it as a jpeg. When I send it to T2 it tells me it is only about 27mm square. I have changed the output size to about 98mm x 98mm square but when I burn it it comes out very oval shaped.
In this photo the top piece of wood is 4" x 4". However as you can see I had to add another 1 1/4" piece of wood (at the bottom) to get the whole file to burn. What am I doing wrong. Could someone look at my file and see what is wrong? I can send either the PSD file or the jpeg file.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2020, 02:44:54 PM by Tom »

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
Re: I made a square image file but it comes out oval.
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2020, 03:00:25 PM »
It is 288 pixels, so if you are using 0.1 resolution you need 10 pixels per mm so it would be 28.8 mm.

In Photoshop set the dpi to 254 if you are using 0.1 resolution but most lasers have a 0.16 to 0.24 spot size so using 0.2 resolution = 127 dpi is a better choice. If you match the dpi to the resolution you are outputting the sizes will match.

I don't know why you got an oval, have you tested the sample circle in the Help menu to make sure the machine is calibrated?

Tom

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2020, 03:35:33 PM »
Ok, thanks Zax. I will give this a try. I was using 0.1 resolution. I'll give your suggestions a try.

Tom

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2020, 05:47:10 PM »
So, I tried several of the samples and I'm getting ovals instead of circles and the square samples are not square. What can cause this? I just updated the software. I also tried reloading the program. So, issue with my machine?

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2020, 03:50:07 AM »
Yes the issue is your machine, or rather the firmware. It needs to be calibrated.

T2Laser sends G-code, so tells the firmware to move 50mm. It is the firmware that determines based on the calibration how many steps to move the motors. So once you adjust the steps per mm (calibration) it will be fixed.

If you are using my firmware you can do the calibration from the T2Laser menu, see the attached screenshots and measure the actual distances and enter them in the boxes, click calibrate and the correct parameters are calculated and uploaded to the controller.

Tom

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2020, 01:36:09 PM »
Ok, I found that all my axis were set to 100. Could this have changed with the latest update? Could the update have defaulted all these to 100? I've never had to set these values before. Anyway....all seems good now. Thank you!

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2020, 01:47:00 PM »
Update? You mean T2Laser, no that never changes the parameters on your machine unless you specifically click to upload defaults and those are 80.

If you have used other software then some do change parameters without asking, which is a good way to brick a Nano.

Tom

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2020, 04:43:44 PM »
Ok, well Iím not sure how they changed. Iíve only used T2 since having the machine. It is good to know what to look for in the future. Iíll keep notes to myself to check these if it would ever happen again.
Thanks Zax.