Author Topic: Scaling issue - Visio 2013 dxf imported into T2Laser  (Read 455 times)

martinc

• View Profile
Scaling issue - Visio 2013 dxf imported into T2Laser
« on: July 07, 2020, 12:59:10 AM »
Hello People who know more than me !!!

I have a problem with scaling Ö.

I have T2Laser set up to drive an EleksMaker A3 laser engraver and this will produce the 50mm circle demo shape to the correct size and the same goes for the 100mm square. In fact anything I do in T2Laser comes out correctly scale wise so Iíve concluded that Iíve got all that set up correctly.

I have a copy of Visio 2013 and have been using that for years (probably 7 years to tell the truth)

My problem is all connected with scale when I save a .dxf file and load it into T2Laser

I have a visio file that contains a 100mm by 100mm square and then three 10mm squares in the bottom left corner stacked up against each other.

blank.vsdx

blank.pdf

Iíve then exported out of visio as a dxf file.

blank.dxf

If I use the import dxf function in T2Laser the file loads and looks correct in the display but if I look at the Output Size display it tells me that the width is 2567.1mm and the height is 2587.9mm

And if I look at the gcode these numbers have been used for the dimensions of the main box outline.

gcode1.jpg

No problem I think Ö. Iíll just change the Output size.

So if I turn off the aspect lock and enter 100 in the width, close the config box and open it again T2Laser has changed the value to 99.6, change the height to 100, close the box and open it again and itís changed as well.

With a lot of trial and error if I open the dialog box and change the values both to 2000 and then close the box, open the box again and set both values to 100 close the box and open it again the values have not changed Ė they are still on 100 !!

If I engrave using these settings I get an output square that is 99mm wide and 98mm high Ö.

If I look at the gcode the plot isnít starting at 0,0 itís starting at 1.058,1.852 and the top corner is 100.016,99.997

gcode2.jpg

So the maths here gives 100.016-1.058 =  98.958 or near as damn it 99mm

And

99.997-1.852 = 98.145 or near as damn it 98mm

OK so I change the output settings to read 101 and 102 and close the box and open again to check they have been retained and then burn I get this gcode produced and a 100mm by 100mm square

gcode3.jpg

Now itís not actually perfect Ė itís 100mm by 100.113 but itís good enough !!!

So my problem Ö. This is a bit tedious having to tinker to this extent everytime I want to import a dxf file from Visio, ideally Iíd like to do something in visio so the output file is spot on but there are literally no controls over this in visio

I might well be doing something wrong in T2Laser Ė the operation of the Ďoutput sizeí box appears a little intermittent to me but clearly the underlying code can deliver the correct scale itís just that I have to fiddle a lot to get the right numbers in in the first place.

One solution would be to bound all my visio files with a  420mm by 297mm box and then work out the output scale number to make this all work and use that each time I run a job.

I canít help thinking Iím missing something here and Iíve overlooked  a button or feature somewhere along the line.

A prize is available to the person who comes up with what Iím doing wrong 😊

Thanks for your patience in reading this far !!

Martin

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
Re: Scaling issue - Visio 2013 dxf imported into T2Laser
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2020, 03:51:31 AM »
You sure made that sound complicated when the problem was your drawing is in inches but has no defined dimensions so T2Laser defaults to metric.

All you have to do is tell T2Laser it's inches, either in your DXF (maybe there's a setting in your CAD program) or use the menu to override the units.

I also noted it's not at 0,0 (it's close) but you can either fix that in CAD or use the Relocate Origin setting to shift it.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2020, 03:52:20 AM by Zax »

martinc

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2020, 03:56:38 AM »
well thats very interesting .....

The Visio is all in metric .....

your tweaks to T2Laser does fix the issue tho ....

your relocate origin works a treat as well

Thank you .... :-)

ggallant571

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2020, 06:31:25 AM »
Must have been mitric. Slang for unspecified units.
SARCASM - Just one more service we offer here.

martinc

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2020, 06:52:07 AM »
I think that is probably the case, I also have access to a really fab Laser cutter ... cut's 25mm plate steel upto 8 foot by 4 foot, uses liquid oxygen and loads of electricity !

The code that drives that just accepts a Visio dxf file and is correct out of the box.

It sounds like their software assumes metric, T2Laser assumes imperial and Visio is stupid enough not to bother telling anybody what measurement system it's using.

Still as with all these things with hindsight it's obvious ... now Zax has sent me off looking at the menu connected with importing which I had declined to look at for some odd reason ....

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2020, 07:52:12 AM »
No, T2Laser assumes metric if unspecified but in your DXF it has:

$MEASUREMENT=0

The DXF reference spec published by AutoCAD (the format owners) states that 0 = English and 1 = Metric units.

martinc

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2020, 08:02:40 AM »
How weird .... I've no idea how to track that down in Visio but I guess it must be configurable somewhere along the line unless it's just another 'feature' of microsoft code :-( certainly the other laser cutter makes assumptions the other way round ...

anyway thanks anyway for your help .... most appreciated