Author Topic: Laser stops moving/burning  (Read 160 times)

Oddball4444

• View Profile
Laser stops moving/burning
« on: July 14, 2020, 03:00:01 AM »
Hi guys,

First post here. I tried to find an answer but couldn't find anything that exactly fit my issue.

I've been having an issue where when I'm burning an image my laser will just stop burning and stop moving randomly. I jave checked my power settings on my PC and have them turned to "never", and I have tried simple streaming but it still does it. No error message comes up it just stops. I can click the "send g code" icon and it will say "paused" but cannot get it to resume again. It does not happen everytime but it is annoyingly inconsistent.

Any help would be appreciated!

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
Re: Laser stops moving/burning
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2020, 04:05:02 AM »
Is the buffer showing red or orange? (the indicator to the right of the sending progress bar)

If so then the machine has G-code to process but Grbl has likely crashed, I would suspect a memory issue on the Nano so replace that and you should be OK. The Geekcreit brand from Banggood or HiLetGo brand from Amazon/ebay are both very reliable compared to the majority of low cost clones. Just be sure to get one with a boot loader pre-installed.

Oddball4444

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2020, 05:09:09 AM »
Thanks Zax, I'll check that tonight

Oddball4444

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2020, 07:47:30 AM »
Sorry, I'm new to this micro computer type stuff so I have another question.

I found the Hiletgo ones but the shipping was out to October so I was looking and found the arduino nano every. Is this a compatible nano? I'm not really sure what the specs are that I'm looking for? The pins seem to have the same designations.

Thanks again

ggallant571

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2020, 10:09:01 AM »
There are two versions of the bootloader. The "newer" is about 1K smaller which allows for a corresponding lager firmware image. The older communicates at 57600 baud while the newer is at 115200. You can install the newer with an external flash burner tool which can be purchased or built with a generic Arduino and jumper wires. There are also issues with the version of the USB interface chip which usually get resolved by installing a corresponding driver in WIndows. Lastly there have been reported quality issues with some clone CPU chips.

I purchase about 6 at a time and play the very frustrating game of bootloader upgrade if necessary.

Another upgrade path is using the pin compatible ARM chip boards. Much faster with more memory. Just another challenge to configure.
SARCASM - Just one more service we offer here.

Oddball4444

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2020, 01:01:59 PM »
Awesome, thanks for pointing me in the right direction guys. I did a few test runs successfully after moving the usb and power cables apart (They were kind of in a tangle together maybe causing interference?) and resetting Grbl parameters in T2laser. I'm going to order a spare nano anyways just in case, since they seem to be a known weak point...
« Last Edit: July 14, 2020, 01:14:27 PM by Oddball4444 »