Author Topic: Just a burn line and no shape or text  (Read 445 times)

cazz

• View Profile
Just a burn line and no shape or text
« on: August 14, 2020, 11:42:02 AM »
Hi
I have bought a cheap laser machine that I plan to engrave a bit with.
Not sure if that is the problem I have but the seller har write that I will never upgrade the firmware.
I guess if I do that the software stop working or something.

The problem I have is it just burn a line in the wood and no shape or text from the example it was with the software
A text that say Benbox and a ruler both give me a burn line but I can see the laser go on and off
I have take some screenshot of the settings but not sure if that is the problem

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
Re: Just a burn line and no shape or text
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2020, 12:16:34 PM »
Benbox only works with a modified version of Grbl 0.8 firmware, so it is true that if you upgrade the firmware you can no longer use Benbox but I would say that's a win-win!

T2Laser is one of the only alternative programs that does run on the Benbox firmware but many features won't work as they need more modern firmware.

Grbl 1.1 is much better for motion control, the motors will run smoother and faster. You also get dynamic laser power, real time overrides for the feed rate and power as well as access to calibration, rotary mode, homing switches and all of the other features T2Laser and other programs like BCL offer.

cazz

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2020, 12:28:37 PM »
Thanks for the replay and it does sound greate.

I maybe going to do a upgrade but curious about it a little and also curious why it does not work for me with Benbox.

Not sure if I have done it wrong somehow or what I can do to get it to work like that I have now.

The problem I have now is I'm not sure if that is the software error or hardware error.
I also notice that T2Laser have a trial and then cost money so I guess that I have to first upgrade the firmware and then install the software and if I don't know if that is the hardware then
I still going to have problem.

My idea is maybe first make it work with benbox and see if everything works fine and after that maybe upgrade and then buy a T2Laser licens.

ggallant571

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2020, 04:55:32 PM »
I started with lasers about 4 years ago. No prior experience but the benbox software/firmware lasted less than 20 minutes. I am Linux based and can attest that there is nothing magical with laser engravers. From reputation (and 4 years listening to Zax) T2 is a solid, well supported laser etching application. If you decide to stay with benbox, log the hours spent trying to do anything outside their demos and if your time is worth less than $0.25US per hour you might be satisfied.

You didn't post any info on your particular machine but if it includes a plugin Arduino Nano CPU board you can purchase a replacement Nano and load the new firmware. Then you would have both. While your at it you might want to get some stepper motor drivers. They seem to quickly die with new users.
SARCASM - Just one more service we offer here.

cazz

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2020, 01:02:16 AM »
Is some cheap machine that I bought but have seen that someone else has bought a similar one
http://benboxlaser.us/index.php/topic,3954.0.html

Have thought about it or made a backup of firmware and then upgraded but do not really know which version to upgrade or found a suitable guide.

cazz

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2020, 04:58:41 AM »
Trying now to make a backup of the firmware.

If I got it to work where can I get Grbl 1.1 firmware and can I use Benbox to upgrade the firmware?

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2020, 06:49:29 AM »
As I said, T2Laser works with the Benbox firmware so you don't need to change anything to test it. You can check if your machine works using the free trial with the Benbox firmware.

ggallant571

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2020, 06:54:04 AM »
The firmware is generic Arduino. The only problem that I have encountered is the bootloader. The the size of the application plus bootloader must be less than 32K. I don't recall the exact sizes but the newer current firmware (version 1.1) can exceed the free space available with the older bootloaders. The newer bootloader is significantly smaller.

Rewriting the bootloader can be a pain. Requires another piece of hardware. Some of the cheaper Nano "clones" still come with the old while "genuine" have the new.

You can tell the difference by connecting to the device with the Arduino IDE.

There are multiple methods for updating the firmware. T2 from Zax has an advantage in that he supplies the whole package. Firmware plus burn procedure.

Do you have any local hobby clubs such as Makerspace, Mens Shed, or Robotics?
SARCASM - Just one more service we offer here.

cazz

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2020, 02:26:04 PM »
As I said, T2Laser works with the Benbox firmware so you don't need to change anything to test it. You can check if your machine works using the free trial with the Benbox firmware.

Sorry I did not read that and I did install T2Laser and I did love it alot.
Simple and easy to use and I also did see I can upgrade the firmware from the software.
So I going to buy the software tomorrow (is late here and I have the computer off that is connect to the machine).