Author Topic: Has anyone seen this laser on Gearbox called an ORTUR? Up to 20 watts?  (Read 339 times)

dindunuffin

• Not even bright enough to participate in forum.
    • View Profile
I saw this on Gearbox, curious if anyone else has information regarding it or tried one.  Comes in 7,15, & 20 watt versions.  ???
https://www.gearbest.com/laser-engraving-machine/pp_009895272714.html

I haven't heard of any solid state lasers with that much power, is this possible or is this just over driven lower wattage diodes?

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
Re: Has anyone seen this laser on Gearbox called an ORTUR? Up to 20 watts?
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2020, 09:37:01 AM »
If you read the fine print....

Laser Power: 7w (Electrical Power: 7W, Luminous Power: 1200-1600 mw), 15w(Electrical Power: 15W, Luminous Power: 4000-4500 mw), 20w(Electrical Power:20W, Luminous Power: 5000-5500mw)
« Last Edit: September 01, 2020, 09:37:41 AM by Zax »

dindunuffin

• Not even bright enough to participate in forum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2020, 09:52:18 AM »
Its always in the fine print.  I figured it was an over driven lower wattage diode.

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2020, 01:01:09 PM »
It's not over driven, just typical output. The diodes are 20 to 25% efficient at converting electrical energy to light, the rest is "lost" to heat.

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2020, 05:05:31 PM »
I just received an Ortur Laser Master 2 and was very surprised by the quality, it came mostly assembled so 20 minutes later I had it connected to T2Laser and could test it.

On power up it does the homing automatically and then is ready to run, interestingly it doesn't send a Grbl Ready message although if you send it a reset command it responds with a welcome message and is running Grbl 1.1f. I made a minor change to T2Laser to automatically issue the reset on connection so it operates the same as other systems.

Speed is excellent and it's incredible smooth, or perhaps my older machines are just worn out. I also like the cable management which was lacking on my other systems.

The laser is fairly typical with the board on top, time will tell if it holds up but as this looks very similar to the NEJE machine and I've heard they are reliable I would expect the same.

It uses 1 Y-axis motor and a shaft which probably helps keep the cost down.

If anyone has questions let me know.

ThothLoki

• Tinkerer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2020, 10:18:11 PM »
Dindunuffin and Zax,

Is this one your would recommend? How comparable is it to an eleksmaker?

I always worry about the laseraxe design.
Laser: A3 2500mw with L7 Board / A3 2500mw PWM with Mana SE -- All using T2Laser
3D Printer: Monoprice Maker Select v2.1
Image Resizer Applications (All OS): http://benboxlaser.us/index.php/topic,1434.msg17297.html#msg17297

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2020, 04:30:20 AM »
I would have agreed with you as I generally prefer the dual motor configuration but this machine has changed my opinion. I don't know if that's due to the controller (STM32) or motor drivers but I like how quiet and smooth it runs. The laser module appears to be OK so far, nothing special but not bad either.

I am not sure if I would recommend it to you but for a beginner it is the best choice for several reasons.

1. 80% pre-assembled, so the axis are built and needed no adjustments.
2. Homing switches are standard.
3. Automatic laser shut off if the PC disconnects.
4. Cable management and labelled connectors.
5. No driver required with Windows and came with Grbl 1.1f (no changes were necessary).

If you want a machine to "tweak" or extend the frame then I don't think it's the best but for a simple plug and play option for most people this is an excellent choice.

ThothLoki

• Tinkerer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2020, 05:24:19 PM »
Thanks for the info zax. At the moment, my two A3 machines are taken apart and in a suitcase waiting for my new garage to have room and heat for the winter. Heck, my printer is still in pieces.

I gotta get back at it soon. It has been months since I have been able to burn something. Moving does that you ya.
Laser: A3 2500mw with L7 Board / A3 2500mw PWM with Mana SE -- All using T2Laser
3D Printer: Monoprice Maker Select v2.1
Image Resizer Applications (All OS): http://benboxlaser.us/index.php/topic,1434.msg17297.html#msg17297