Author Topic: Etching Ceramic Tile  (Read 320 times)

ggallant571

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Etching Ceramic Tile
« on: September 25, 2020, 05:56:09 PM »
I have been experimenting etching ceramic tile with a 2.5W diode laser. Nicky Norton has published on Facebook a nice tutorial along with about 100 great images using white paint on white tile. I have 100% failure but using dark paints has been very promising. Attached was with dark green high temperature paint. After etching washed with acetone and dish detergent. Getting the right paint layer depth is critical. So far, success outnumbers failures. Just bought a box of 92 100x100mm tiles and 4 of these 200x100mm for under $15US. Suspect the cost of paint and cleaners cost more than the tile.

Should you give it a try it is very important to wash the tiles prior to painting.
SARCASM - Just one more service we offer here.

donwatson

• View Profile
Re: Etching Ceramic Tile
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2020, 02:23:31 AM »
Fantastic job. Wish I could do that.

Don W

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2020, 04:56:21 AM »
Etching painted tiles is very popular right now, as you say cleaning (acetone works well) is important and then spray 2 thin layers or do a base color and then 2 thin top coats but make sure it dries several days before lasering. Then clean very carefully with soapy water and when dry spray with a clear coat. Acrylic paints seem to work best.

ggallant571

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2020, 06:49:56 AM »
I am planning on trying the dual color scheme. First layer is a color, second is flat black. Depending on the laser power you burn just the black exposing the color or all the way thru to the tile.
SARCASM - Just one more service we offer here.