Author Topic: Laser module for cutting 3mm plywood  (Read 325 times)

IXals

• View Profile
Laser module for cutting 3mm plywood
« on: October 26, 2020, 04:03:21 AM »
Hello All,

My name is Jaroslaw I'm from Poland.
I"m reading this forum since 3 years but now I need an advise.

I'm using 2,5W and 0,5W lasers only for cutting. Software BCL.
With my 2,5W laser I can cut plywood with 3-4 passes, but I want to change system to bigger format 60-100 cm so I need cut faster.
Last time I bought on AliExpress cheap 20W module but this was mistake. This module I want to send to trash, no power but the main problem is focus.
This not circle but rectangle. The cutting gap is not the same in X and Y direction.

Could you please recommend me good strong laser with good optics module and with good circle focus dot?

Best regards

Jaroslaw

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
Re: Laser module for cutting 3mm plywood
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2020, 04:45:57 AM »
It is because of the type of diode being used. The 2.5W modules have a square emitter which looks round after the lens, the higher power modules use a different diode which has a rectangular emitter. It takes very expensive optics to achieve a small spot with these diodes so usually the output is just a focused line.

If you want more power for cutting then a CO2 laser is probably a better solution.

ggallant571

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2020, 05:49:55 AM »
Another factor is some vendors are now listing the raw input power, not the effective optical power. Diodes seem to be about 15% to 20% efficient so a 20W might be more honestly labeled a 3W.

I have 1.6W, 2.5W, 3.5W 1.5W & 15W modules. The 1.6W provides the sharpest focus, 2.5W visibly worse but used daily, 3.5w & 5.5w useless. The 15W was the cheapest,  is close to 2W output power, and came with nice optics.
SARCASM - Just one more service we offer here.

IXals

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2020, 06:14:49 AM »
Thanks for reply,

Personally I prefer most the 500mW laser. I could find perfect focus and very nice cutting line but the power is too less (1,5mm Beermat cartboard with few passes). I thought that I can find something similar but closer to 5W. CO2 is not an option due format I would like cut in the future (too expensive)

Best Regards

ggallant571

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2020, 10:47:13 AM »
Sadly the 5.5W will be 11 times worse on focus. Perhaps you could get 11 0.5W, a bunch of mirrors and lenses and make your own.
SARCASM - Just one more service we offer here.