Author Topic: X Axis Issue  (Read 411 times)

whodey

• View Profile
X Axis Issue
« on: November 02, 2020, 05:22:55 PM »
Searched the forum and couldn't quite find exactly what I was looking for. I apologize in advance if this topic is already out there... So engraving the Tennessee Tri Star today and my X Axis seems to jump teeth or pauses or something... The motor seems fine. I checked all the belts and they seemed fine. Maybe a little tight but I had some issues before with wavy lines and tightening the X Axis belt fixed that issue. Of course this is one of the cheap universal engraver setups. I did change the laser module to a 3.5 nichia. Well it's supposed to be.... I've learned that all this DIY laser stuff is a toss up for quality. Of course I'm running T2! I wouldn't even consider using another software. T2 is superior to any other software I've tried. It's not even close! I did loosen all my belts just a smidge to see if that would take care of the issue. Nothing. During the initial engraving there were times the motor made like a thudding kind of noise like it had hit something and then its like it slipped a tooth on the belt or something caused it to stick. I check the wheels and bolts and everything seems to be in contact and moving freely and smoothly. Of course is the old style wheels but they are all in contact on the rail. I couldn't detect any flat spots or anything of that nature. I switched up files as I thought maybe that was the issue and I had the same result. I've tested my nano and its in good working order. I was running the file at about 150 x 150. I lowered the size to 50 x 50 to see if I got the same result and one was good, the other had issues. I've checked about everything I know to check. I'm still very green to all this and I'm learning everyday so, If anyone has had this issue and can direct me on how to fix it or what to test next please let me know! I've attached some pictures for reference. Thanks in advance!

ggallant571

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: X Axis Issue
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2020, 05:42:22 PM »
You could have the current limit set too low. What are your stepper motor drivers? Do you have a volt meter?
SARCASM - Just one more service we offer here.

whodey

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2020, 06:38:12 PM »
It's rated at 1.3 amp per the manufacturers website but who knows. I sure don't have a volt meter to check. I'm not sure what the drivers are. I can certainly look but you'd have to direct me as to where exactly. You know the motor makes some funny sounds now that I think of it. A variety of hums and buzzing kind of sounds. Kind of random at all sorts of different times. I assume it's the motor. I don't detect any kind of sounds from the other motors. The sounds have gotten a little worse over time but it always seemed to perform adequately until today.

ggallant571

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2020, 04:59:25 AM »
The driver boards (usually 20-pin) have a user adjustable pot that limits the current to the motor(s). They have a formula that converts the voltage reading to max current. Too little current and the motor can stall, too much and it can overheat. You typically measure the voltage from the screw on the trim pot to GND. If I recall correctly A4998 drivers want something in the range of 0.4V to 0.5V per motor. A fixture with 2 motors on the Y and 1 on the X would require different settings for each driver.

whodey

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2020, 06:47:24 AM »
I will get a volt meter today and get the voltages checked. If adjustment is required, how is that accomplished?

ggallant571

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2020, 05:23:30 PM »
Small screwdriver. Slight twist and measure. Some people attach a spring clip to the screwdriver blade so they can measure while turning.

whodey

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2020, 08:08:55 AM »
Okay so checked both motor drivers today and both were 0.54v. Interesting note, I have had the y axis stall on me before when jogging around. I chalked it up to the belts being a little to tight. I never really had any issue with the y axis while I was running a project. Only when making big jogs around..... Based off previous reply it looks like the y axis should be receiving a little more power? Given that the X axis seems to be at the right voltage, should I add a small about to it to see if that will correct the issue? if so, what would be an appropriate amount to add as to test but not damage the motor immediately?

whodey

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2020, 08:50:54 AM »
Added a little voltage and ran the project again. 100 x 100 and same result. Seemed to be running good but about mid way through the x axis did that kind of hard jerk, not as violent but enough to make it skip again. I will note not as bad though as before. What other things should I be looking at? toyed with the notion of swapping one of the motor with one from the y axis. Could it be the cable? Could it be the USB cable? Thanks for the help!

ggallant571

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2020, 10:03:14 AM »
Which axis has the dual motors?

whodey

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2020, 10:04:39 AM »
Y axis

ggallant571

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2020, 10:43:12 AM »
I would expect the Y stepper to be set at approx twice the X.

whodey

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2020, 11:35:01 AM »
I put a little more voltage to the x motor and ran a different file and it seemed to do fine. Motor got a little warmer but nothing like extremely hot or anything like that. Ill add to the y axis and run some tests and see what happens. Thanks for helping me! I am learning!!

ggallant571

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2020, 05:56:06 PM »
If I recall correctly, most stepper motors can tolerate 80C.