Author Topic: 2D CAD Software List  (Read 4521 times)

nottingham82

• View Profile
Re: 2D CAD Software List
« Reply #30 on: January 27, 2017, 07:32:00 PM »
I use inkscape because it is free.  If you have super tight tolerances you'll hate inkscape.  If you just want it to look like the screen when you are done inkscape will work great.  I have made puzzle piece boxes that fit together and had no problem.  Make sure you are using a line that is .1mm wide which will simulate how wide your laser beam is.  When you convert to a dxf and import it it will be off just a hair.  So like I said if you want really tight tolerances you will be upset. 

The default units for inkscape is pixels.  Convert it to mm before you begin in the settings to avoid problems. 
Laser: 2500mw A5 eleks maker
Software: T2
http://www.gearbest.com/3d-printers-3d-printer-kits/pp_290386.html Paid $160 in 2016

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
« Reply #31 on: January 28, 2017, 04:54:48 AM »
I have a conversion document for 0.91 and 0.92, which need slightly different methods (workarounds) but still the internal conversion to real world numbers isn't perfect.

TurboCAD is 100% accurate and I'm sure most other programs are too, but you get what you pay for, well except for T2Laser and BCL, then you get a whole lot more  ;D

Zambody

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 02, 2017, 12:17:52 AM »
Gear template generator from http:\\woodgears.ca looks very nice. Have only played around a little with it but generates dxf usable in T2 and probably with BCL but have not tested.
2.5W A3 BangGood laser
Kossel Mini 3D-printer

pedwards2932

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 17, 2017, 01:31:09 PM »
Just downloaded the latest version of Sketchup (2017) and it now exports to dxf.  I have used it a lot for 3d design for remodeling my kitchen.  It works really well for wing design on model airplanes so I thought I would see how well I can use it for fuselage design.  You can import plans for tracing.

jtice

• View Profile
    • www.jtice.com
« Reply #34 on: February 17, 2017, 01:51:25 PM »
The free Make version?  Or Pro?
Does it also export in STL?

pedwards2932

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 17, 2017, 02:14:39 PM »
I have the free version.  It does dxf and dwf.  I think you could do that before with a plug in but now it's built in

Administrator

• Administrator
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 17, 2017, 03:02:16 PM »
Gear template generator from http:\\woodgears.ca looks very nice. Have only played around a little with it but generates dxf usable in T2 and probably with BCL but have not tested.

The developer sent me his paid version to test with BCL.

Notes:

1. You need to Export with the Polyline option! Exporting with the other method will generate way too many drawing objects to work with easily inside BCL. The sample gear generated 1,399 drawing objects. The Polyline export generated only 9!

2. After exporting: I opened the dxf file in my CAD program and set the Units of Measurement to MM (Units were not set but I gave the developer this information so hopefully he will do that during the Export operation in the future).

3. The DXF file format is pre-2000 so I had to do a Save As in my CAD program to get a new format that BCL could open.

That was it...BCL was able to generate the gcode and it ran fine in the Virtual Laser Machine (VLM). See attachment.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2017, 03:04:13 PM by Administrator »
Admin -- Ralph -- support @ BenCutLaser dot us
http://www.BenCutLaser.us/BenCutLaserSetup1.8.6k.exe.zip
BCL Paid license: $39.95
via Paypal to bclpp@primemail.com

MammaAiuto

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 08, 2017, 07:17:43 AM »
Hello all,

To replace autocad 7 installed on my old laptop I download
NanoCad , it's free and is very similar of Autocad 7...as fare as
I know it, it use the same commande  ( very newbie with autocad .... :-(

Also it got some tutorial on youtube which can help the newb like me

https://nanocad.com/

ThothLoki

• Tinkerer
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 30, 2017, 08:48:37 PM »
2nd on nanoCAD. I showed it to my CAD department at work who work with autoCAD and revit and every command they told me worked. They said it was a great clone. Only downside is I can't get it to work on Mac or Linux yet. Tried various methods and flavors of wine and playonmac. It loads but you can't do anything.
Laser: A5 2000mw with L7 Board / A3 2500mw PWM with Mana SE -- All using T2Laser
3D Printer: Monoprice Maker Select v2
Image Resizer Applications (All OS): http://benboxlaser.us/index.php/topic,1434.msg17297.html#msg17297

av8r1

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 22, 2017, 11:30:00 PM »
I'm a big fan of QCAD for drawing vectors for laser cutting.  I think someone mentioned a problem with importing the files into CAM software?
One possible reason is, the free edition of QCAD only exports in the R15 version of DXF.  Some CAM softwares use the older R12 version.  You can either pay for the full version of QCAD, or get a copy of the similar LibreCAD (which is a fork of an older version of QCAD) then just open the file and resave it as the older format.

For 3D CAD I use FreeCAD, but you have to come around to FreeCAD's way of thinking.  It has a built-in (and at the moment, crappy to use) spreadsheet.  Reason being, you can type numbers into cells and reference them in the drawing.  Then you can go back and change them and it will redraw the part on the fly.  One of my backburner projects is a laser box generator in FreeCAD, where I type in the internal dimensions, the wood thickness, and a couple other parameters, and it automatically models the six sides of the box and exports DXFs of the faces.  Which I might use twice  ::)

Stonemull

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 23, 2017, 08:18:13 AM »
DesignSPark Mechanical which I use for 3d modelling also happily exports 2D images in svg format (autocad 2007 option I used), I made plasma stencils with them, simply drew it out, saved, opened in T2 and etched accurately sized stencils, no mucking around, worked fine (after I stopped using mirror lines)
A3 Eleksmaker 2500mW
Solidoodle V2 Pro
Hacked Roland DXY-880