Author Topic: Differences in filaments and nozzles?  (Read 643 times)

dindunuffin

• Not even bright enough to participate in forum.
    • View Profile
Differences in filaments and nozzles?
« on: July 24, 2016, 02:55:35 PM »
I was looking at a Geeetech 3D printer over at Banggood, and I see that when you order, you have several filament and nozzle options.  I do not know enough about the differences to choose.  The filaments are 1.75mm & 3mm, and the nozzles were 0.3mm, 0.4mm, & 0.35mm.
Over at Folgertech, the RepRap i3 & 2020 are 1.75mm filament, I didn't see anything on the nozzle size.

Can you guys educate me and make some recommendations?

Agastar

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Differences in filaments and nozzles?
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2016, 03:14:12 PM »
If you want to get into specialty filaments like copper, brass, steel, or wood fill then 1.75 might work better for you. My UM2 used 3mm filament with a .4mm nozzle and produced some stunning results. I had purchased some copper and brass fill to play around with but never got the chance, however after purchasing it, I read the bit about 1.75 being easier to work with.

If you don't plan on messing with that stuff then either size is going to work just fine for you.

dindunuffin

• Not even bright enough to participate in forum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2016, 09:13:02 AM »
thanks, I'm still thinking about pulling the handle on one of these things.

DIMM2

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2017, 07:22:12 AM »
One tip: recommended layer height is 0.5-0.8 * nozzle diameter. Generally using 0.2-0.3 mm height complies with 0.4 mm nozzle.
So if you need more speed - choose thicker layers and "bigger" nozzle (e.g. 0.4-0.5), if you need slow but more detailed print - choose thinner layers and 0.2-0.3 nozzle.