Author Topic: Hello - New User  (Read 5300 times)

caperry88

• View Profile
Hello - New User
« on: March 15, 2016, 03:35:59 AM »
Hi all, I just wanted to introduce myself as I know I will be asking for assistance and trying to give help as much as I can.  I purchased a 2.5W laser from Gearbest http://www.gearbest.com/3d-printers-3d-printer-kits/pp_290386.html][url]http://www.gearbest.com/3d-printers-3d-printer-kits/pp_290386.html[/url]

I am trying to get it put together based off of photos from their website, but I am definitely having a go at taking it apart because I should have put my stop blocks on first, or the crossmembers, etc...... I am tempted to put together an assembly thread, not sure how well that would work as they are all different.

Anyways, there is a controller software on their website that I am downloading now.  It is called Eleks Laser.rar not quite sure how I am going to open it on my MAC, but may end up having a go at it on my desktop.  Ultimately I want to find a cheap laptop to act as a permanent controller.

Thanks for reading

Perry
Equipment:  Gearbest 2500mw A5 Mini Laser Engraving Machine  -  2500MW  SILVER 167912906 Air-cooling Weak Light Automatic Positioning DIY Kit
Software: T2Laser with J-Tech Photonics 0.9g Grbl

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
Re: Hello - New User
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2016, 04:18:22 AM »
Welcome Perry,

I think we all had the same experience, I wish I had documented my build with photos to share.

I watched the youtube videos and had the Eleks drawing, assembly took about an hour, I also had to remove the legs to put in those stop blocks. Just make sure everything moves freely but without being loose, and don't over tension the belts.

That Eleks software is probably Benbox, most installs seem to have malware included.

- Zax.

caperry88

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2016, 06:42:21 AM »
Malware is my biggest fear....I definitely need to find aN old laptop.
Equipment:  Gearbest 2500mw A5 Mini Laser Engraving Machine  -  2500MW  SILVER 167912906 Air-cooling Weak Light Automatic Positioning DIY Kit

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2016, 07:21:39 AM »
If it is Benbox, the file name was LaserDaemon.exe and it opens several ports exposing you to the internet. The file is not required to run Benbox and can be deleted, then it checked out clean.

-Zax.

caperry88

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2016, 06:06:33 PM »
are there any MAC programs that will run it?

MassimilianoMarradi

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2016, 03:45:42 AM »
are there any MAC programs that will run it?

Ciao.

As a Mac user, and Windows-free home, I think this is on me.

Yes, there are different, but I have to say the the best are on Windows.

A GCode sender, UniversalGcodeSender-v1.0.9 works.

Other, more complex, with problems:
mDraw
VisiCut
Printrun

Again, not working for me:
Carbide Motion
Pleasant 3D
Cut2D-Laser (licensed)

And, of course, you can use Inkscape with the plugin, Inkscape-master and JTP_Laser_Tool_V1_4, for exporting a GCode.

caperry88

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2016, 08:08:58 AM »
Thanks for the input MassimilianoMarradi, u think I found your pdf elsewhere on the site.

I was looking at a program "winebottler" that supposedly runs windows .exe on the MAC.

Not sure what route am I going to go but trying to look at all the options, with a pc laptop as one of them.

I need to be able to engrave as that is the main reason I bought it.   I might end up PMING you for assistance as not o bore the others and I have a lot to learn.