Author Topic: Cutting stencils  (Read 1760 times)

Agastar

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Cutting stencils
« Reply #45 on: October 28, 2016, 05:30:54 AM »
6 mil would probably work well too.

Here is a pic of the stencil cut out and on the PCB.

beikeland

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 29, 2016, 02:12:35 AM »
cool! Have you seen this btw? Maybe there are some projects where just manually dispensing the solder paste may be quicker for one offs?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2129383335/i-extruder-smart-solder-paste-and-fluids-dispenser

Depending on final weight adding it to a machine may be an option. I see they're working on "pick and place" features as well now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQmnu8NbQDs

Agastar

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 29, 2016, 04:28:15 AM »
I had not seen that but that is pretty cool!

beikeland

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 29, 2016, 05:15:27 AM »
Yeah, a little too expensive for me I think, but I would like one for sure! Thought I'd mention it tough:)

Agastar

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 31, 2016, 07:08:57 AM »
Yeah, I was a little surprised by the price too. Shouldn't be too hard to replicate though :)

Elephantman

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 03, 2016, 09:01:56 PM »
In Oz, I've purchased adhesive vinyl book covering (called contact here" and found using the standard benbox with a high speed that cuts just the vinyl and not the backing paper, minimal fumes although i still wouldn't breathe directly.
I can then remove the unwanted pieces, and it leaves me a fine edged sticker i can use.
Whilst I haven't done it yet, I have thought with more intricate pieces with parts not necessarily joined,  about placing clear vinyl adhesive over the top to hold it all together and create a solid sticker.
My other intention is to just create stencils i can then stick on glass and use acid to etch.

Cheap book vinyl, seems effective enough for me.

John

Zax

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
« Reply #51 on: December 04, 2016, 04:37:28 AM »
Welcome out of the shadows Elephantman  ;D

You are obviously very creating based on your other post and this one.

The good thing is book vinyl is generally not PVC but actually a polyester material so relatively safe to laser.

You can usually tell if it has a little texture to it, the really glossy smooth stuff that's stretchy is most likely PVC and not safe to laser.

Colka

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 07, 2017, 08:15:19 AM »
Hi Guys

Just my 2 pennies worth (Yes I live in the UK)

I do a lot of airbrushing I tend to use a lot of different materials depending on the application, I generally use 75Micron Mylar sheets for most purposes any thicker and the 2.5w laser needs to be pretty slow. I also use transparency sheets. I have also used Frisket masking film which is fantastic for repositioning due to the low tack adhesive used on the back. Not to mix it up with DCfix, which usually has a high tack and not easily removed. For throw away stencils std cardstock for cardmaking is perfect and if need to stick it down spray the back of it with spray on adhesive.

I agree with Zax and others cutting vinyl, use a vinyl cutter eg. Silhouette cameo or something similar. The stench in cutting it is second to none. Besides you might end up in the hospital  ;D

ggallant571

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 07, 2017, 08:30:31 AM »
This type of information is really useful. The differences in generic/slang  names across the globe definitely can cause confusion.
SARCASM - Just one more service we offer here.

nottingham82

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 14, 2017, 12:24:14 PM »
Hi Guys

Just my 2 pennies worth (Yes I live in the UK)

I do a lot of airbrushing I tend to use a lot of different materials depending on the application, I generally use 75Micron Mylar sheets for most purposes any thicker and the 2.5w laser needs to be pretty slow. I also use transparency sheets. I have also used Frisket masking film which is fantastic for repositioning due to the low tack adhesive used on the back. Not to mix it up with DCfix, which usually has a high tack and not easily removed. For throw away stencils std cardstock for cardmaking is perfect and if need to stick it down spray the back of it with spray on adhesive.

I agree with Zax and others cutting vinyl, use a vinyl cutter eg. Silhouette cameo or something similar. The stench in cutting it is second to none. Besides you might end up in the hospital  ;D

Zax and I are in the people's republic of tree hugging California.  Mylar is a banned substance.  You could kill whales with it.  Also banned... many types of printing ink, windshield washer fluid that doesnt freeze, fun, cow flatulence, and annoying birds. 
Laser: 2500mw A5 eleks maker
Software: T2
http://www.gearbest.com/3d-printers-3d-printer-kits/pp_290386.html Paid $160 in 2016

Zax

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
« Reply #55 on: January 14, 2017, 12:44:35 PM »
Not me... I'm in Texas!

nottingham82

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 14, 2017, 12:54:21 PM »
OH its ralph in california.  He's down in LA.
Laser: 2500mw A5 eleks maker
Software: T2
http://www.gearbest.com/3d-printers-3d-printer-kits/pp_290386.html Paid $160 in 2016