Author Topic: (Solved) Laser will not shut off  (Read 6679 times)

caperry88

• View Profile
(Solved) Laser will not shut off
« on: March 18, 2016, 06:57:24 PM »
I don't know what I did, but the laser is on and will not turn off.  I have tried pulling the circuit boards, and removing the power and reloading the firmware, but to no avail.  I know there must be some sort of short I can do to shut it down, but have no idea where to go.

This is on an Arduino Nano board

Perry
« Last Edit: March 19, 2016, 12:29:43 PM by caperry88 »
Equipment:  Gearbest 2500mw A5 Mini Laser Engraving Machine  -  2500MW  SILVER 167912906 Air-cooling Weak Light Automatic Positioning DIY Kit
Software: T2Laser with J-Tech Photonics 0.9g Grbl

caperry88

• View Profile
Re: Laser will not shut off
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2016, 07:32:29 PM »
so does anyone know where the reset button is on the "Nano" board?  I saw the drawing of the board on this site, but didn't see a reset.
Equipment:  Gearbest 2500mw A5 Mini Laser Engraving Machine  -  2500MW  SILVER 167912906 Air-cooling Weak Light Automatic Positioning DIY Kit

Administrator

• Administrator
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2016, 07:33:36 PM »
Did you unplug the main power cord? In addition to the USB cable...
Admin -- Ralph -- support @ BenCutLaser dot us
https://www.dropbox.com/s/qv1qee2vb65785t/SetupBenCutLaser3.2a.zip?dl=0
BCL Paid license: $49.95
via Paypal to bclpp@primemail.com

caperry88

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2016, 05:29:59 AM »
yes, and tried to pull any remaining power out by turning on the switch with the power cord and USB out of it. 

There has to be a reset somewhere on the board, I am going to try the weak laser button while powering on.

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2016, 07:53:07 AM »
The Nano will reboot if you pull the USB, so it sounds like the firmware is corrupt or as you said there is a hardware issue.

There is a reset button on the Nano but it won't do anything but a soft reset, compared to pulling the USB which will do a hard reset. The Nano runs the boot loader first and then loads the Grbl firmware, it should flash a few times during this process.

If you connect to it with a serial monitor like the one included with Arduino IDE you should be able to see the Grbl startup response and can send it a M05 to turn the laser off (ensure CRLF is enabled).

Zax.

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2016, 07:55:57 AM »
Here's the Nano pin out, which shows the reset button in the center.

caperry88

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2016, 12:29:27 PM »
So after most of last night and pretty much all day today, a solution may have been found.  It appears that for some reason the GRBL com wasn't working.  I tried to use Arduino tool on my MAC most of the morning.  I though I had it but no.  I have been using my PC for the last couple of hours troubleshooting and trying everything.  I downloaded the Arduino tool to the PC and got the LED to blink, etc.....communication!!!

I ended up on GitHub

For Windows:
Last updated: 2013-01-24 by dmalicky. (Tested on Windows XP/7 and Arduino Uno)

Flashing a hex file to your Arduino is simple with windows. First, plug in your Arduino into any USB port of your Windows machine and then determine the assigned COM port of your Arduino.

To Determine your Arduino's COM port:

Windows XP: Right click on "My Computer", select "Properties", select "Device Manager".

Windows 7: Click "Start" -> Right click "Computer" -> Select "Manage" -> Select "Device Manager" from left pane

In the tree, expand "Ports (COM & LPT)"

Your Arduino will be the USB Serial Port (COMX), where the X represents the COM number, for example COM6.

If there are multiple USB serial ports, right click each one and check the manufacturer, the Arduino will be "FTDI".

To flash a grbl hex to an Arduino:

Download and extract XLoader.

Open XLoader and select your Arduino's COM port from the drop down menu on the lower left.

Select the appropriate device from the dropdown list titled "Device".

Check that Xloader set the correct baud rate for the device: 57600 for Duemilanove/Nano (ATmega 328) or 115200 for Uno (ATmega 328).

Now use the browse button on the top right of the form to browse to your grbl hex file.

Once your grbl hex file is selected, click "Upload"

After clicking upload, you'll see the RX/TX lights going wild on your Arduino. The upload process generally takes about 10 seconds to finish. Once completed, a message will appear in the bottom left corner of XLoader telling you how many bytes were uploaded. If there was an error, it would show instead of the total bytes uploaded. Steps should be similar and may be done through the command prompt.

I then uploaded the hex for the Eleks Laser and it loaded, so comms still working.

Next I found a GRBL hex file and loaded that then loaded the Universal GRBL Controller and finally had control of the laser and servo's.  Now I don't want to touch anything for fear of having to do it all over again.

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
Re: (Solved) Laser will not shut off
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2016, 02:12:40 PM »
Glad you figured it out.  :)

Administrator

• Administrator
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2016, 09:34:41 PM »
Great work...!!!
Admin -- Ralph -- support @ BenCutLaser dot us
https://www.dropbox.com/s/qv1qee2vb65785t/SetupBenCutLaser3.2a.zip?dl=0
BCL Paid license: $49.95
via Paypal to bclpp@primemail.com

caperry88

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2016, 09:36:22 AM »
thx, now it is time to experiment an see what I can do with this thing.

MassimilianoMarradi

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2016, 01:45:21 AM »
Ciao.

As add on, I've experienced something like that.

Using GCode, I've found that the last version, grbl_v0_9j_atmega328p_16mhz_115200, in my board keep the laser on.
Using a previous version, like 0.9g or 0.8c at 9600, I've full control. This is a problem of the board, not of the Arduino.

caperry88

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2016, 11:35:42 AM »
Mas, I think that is exactly what i did, I accidentally loaded the 9j to it.

sapling

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2016, 07:15:48 AM »
Your forum helped me so much as I got the same kit you did and was having issues. Thanks man for figuring this out. I had nothing working as I couldnt find the correct benbox firmware for the elek board but got some ideas of how to find it from your post. Anyway The only issue I have left is the Y axis motor is not working right now. I might have fried it or something at one point so going to try and swap the motor out with an X axis motor and see if that is the issue. If not I will be posting back later.

caperry88

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2016, 11:05:17 AM »
excellent, good to hear it was a help, I find I learn the most when I mess something up.

caperry88

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2016, 10:09:19 AM »
Summary:

In order to run T2laser software I had to load the j-tech .hex, however whenever I loaded it the laser would come on and stay on constantly.  In order to fix this issue I had to remove the nano board (rectangle where the usb plugs into the board) from the Rest of the circuit board and move the jumper to the 9v.  After this fix, it works as it should.