Author Topic: Some Grbl firmware  (Read 11998 times)

dindunuffin

• Not even bright enough to participate in forum.
    • View Profile
Re: Some Grbl firmware
« Reply #30 on: June 17, 2016, 12:12:59 PM »
Somebody can confirm, but I was thinking Benbox won't work after you've converted to 0.9 firmware and the hardware jumper change.  I think you have to go back to the original setup for Benbox since it is based on a different firmware.  But then again, I may be wrong.

Hooty

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 17, 2016, 12:34:13 PM »
Somebody can confirm, but I was thinking Benbox won't work after you've converted to 0.9 firmware and the hardware jumper change.  I think you have to go back to the original setup for Benbox since it is based on a different firmware.  But then again, I may be wrong.

I'm not to worried about the Benbox software, but I was really liking the UGCS software.  It's actually easier to export what I'm working on into a gcode file than an image so the .bmp and .jpg centered software isn't my main focus, although they seem to be the ones with the added features.  It's why I haven't really settled on which one I'm going to use on a regular basis yet.

dindunuffin

• Not even bright enough to participate in forum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 17, 2016, 12:47:34 PM »
I haven't had any trouble with the Xloader or the UGCS.  They should both work just fine.  Try uploading the firmware again just for good measure, maybe something went wrong on the upload.  I'm using the J-tech firmware, but I've tried all of them and had no troubles. 

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
« Reply #33 on: June 17, 2016, 01:05:29 PM »
Benbox software requires Benbox firmware, but you don't need to swap the jumper back, just change the laser pin in the configuration.

T2Laser works with either firmware, but Benbox firmware doesn't support laser power so I always recommend J-Tech.

Hooty

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 17, 2016, 04:15:26 PM »
Not so worried about Benbox.  Any clue what settings I have wrong in the firmware that are causing Universal G Code Sender to act so weird?

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
« Reply #35 on: June 17, 2016, 04:56:41 PM »
Do you mean the slow speed?

That's because Grbl 0.9 doesn't have a default feed rate, just send F2000 before you do anything.

I saw you were testing T2Laser, how did that work for you?

Hooty

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 17, 2016, 06:24:52 PM »
I can't really test the functionality I'm looking for because the trial doesn't let me use G Code which is the format I intend to use the most.  I will start a thread under the T2 software section to discuss so I don't muddy up this thread with non-firmware talk.

Airborndaddy

• View Profile
    • CavStoreTX Etsy Store
« Reply #37 on: August 14, 2016, 01:41:48 PM »
Here are 3 useful hex (firmware) files:

Eleks Maker (Benbox): LX-Nano.328p.20150626.hex

J-Tech Grbl 0.9 (optimized for laser scanning, 1kHz PWM): jtech_grbl.hex

LaserInk Grbl 0.9 by nickw89509 (optimized for laser scanning, 7.8kHz PWM): laserink_grbl.hex
- Zax.

How do I know what PWM I have 1kHz or 7.8kHz?. I have the banggood 2.5w 17x22 laser. L7 board. 2.5w laser module says 1606 on it

Right now I have been modifying my images to work with black and white only on Oak and Birch wood. But would love to get grey scale to work in T2

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
« Reply #38 on: August 14, 2016, 02:18:58 PM »
The PWM signal is coming from the Nano, it depends which Grbl (firmware) you are using.

If you're using J-Tech it's 1kHz, all others are 7.8kHz.

Airborndaddy

• View Profile
    • CavStoreTX Etsy Store
« Reply #39 on: August 14, 2016, 09:41:41 PM »
I am using the firmware sent with T2 laser! Which one is that and is there a better one to get better gray scale?

ggallant571

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 14, 2016, 10:55:16 PM »
I am very new in this arena and am currently only doing (attempting) cutting. Having good success with the grbl firmware from Sungeun K. Jeon & Simen Svale Skogsrud. It is public domain and builds either from ether the command line or Arduino environment. The companion GrblController application allows testing gcode commands and files.   
SARCASM - Just one more service we offer here.

Lob0426

• Global Moderator
  • Let the Magic Blue Smoke out!
    • View Profile
    • Richards RasPi Web Server
« Reply #41 on: August 15, 2016, 12:28:51 AM »
I have been using the grbl edge branch for a couple of days. Has some new settings that seem to work better for lasers. Gets rid of most of the dwell when engraving. It is at the 7.8Hz though. I have mostly been cutting not engraving. I need to try more engraving because mine suck right now!

Like you I am new to the Lasers. I have some prior experience with firmware from working on 3D printers, Raspberry Pi and Nerd kits.

I used the Arduino app.
Richard
A5 2.5W w/homing switches on L7
A5 2W diode self upgraded from stock 500mw

Experimenting with Mega2560 board upgrade

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
« Reply #42 on: August 15, 2016, 04:45:54 AM »
I am using the firmware sent with T2 laser! Which one is that and is there a better one to get better gray scale?

That would be the J-Tech firmware, I recommend either that or the LaserInk one (both are in the firmware section).

The results on several systems I tested were the same even though the PWM frequency is very different. If your laser module isn't producing a linear response I would try the other one just to see if it helps.