Author Topic: Terminology and Definitions  (Read 6809 times)

caperry88

• View Profile
Terminology and Definitions
« on: March 23, 2016, 11:28:26 AM »
I get a little confused on some basic terminology and figured it would be good to have a common understanding: 

Updated March 31 @ 10:17

• Arduino - the organization that produces the official hardware (not the laser controller board) https://www.arduino.cc/
  • Arduino IDE - the software used to program the Arduino hardware
  • Arduino Nano - one of the Arduino products (which uses an ATmega328P microcontroller)
  • Bootloader - a small program on the Arduino Nano which allows the Arduino IDE to load sketches (programs). It is not required.
  • CAD - Computer-Aided Design. CAD software for mechanical design to depict the objects of traditional drafting. There is 2D and 3D design CAD software available. CAD is used to make your drawings and is the first step in the production run
  • CAM - Computer-Aided Manufacturing. CAM is the use of software to control machine tools (such as laser machines, 3D printers, Milling and Lathe machines) in the manufacturing of parts. It is the second step in the production run
  • Controller Board - the laser control board made by Elek Maker that houses the drivers, Nano and other circuits (see diagram)
  • Firmware - the compiled software that is loaded to the Arduino Nano (the same as the hex file)
  • Flashing - means installing/loading the hex file into the Nano microprocessor chip
  • GCode - a language used for CNC machines (the instructions sent to Grbl that control the machine)
  • GRBL - the software that runs on the Arduino Nano to run the laser
  • .hex - the compiled software that can be loaded on the Nano
  • Nano - see Arduino Nano above
  • PWM - Pulse Width Modulation (a method to get varying power from a laser diode, by quickly switching it on/off)
  • Serial Terminal - A program which allows you to send/receive data to the serial port (eg. HyperTerminal, Termite, RealTerm, Grbl Controller ...etc)
  • Sketches - Arduino IDE calls programs you write, sketches. These are compiled and uploaded to the Nano. Grbl is a sketch, although a complex one and can be edited and uploaded using the Arduino IDE, or compiled to a .hex and loaded using AVRDude (or XLoader which is an interface to it).
  • FTDI - Future Technology Devices International, commonly known by its abbreviation FTDI, is a Scottish privately held semiconductor device company, specializing in Universal Serial Bus (USB) technology. It develops, manufactures, and supports devices and their related software drivers for converting RS-232 or TTL serial transmissions to USB signals.

Please post if there is anything else that needs explaining.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2016, 08:16:04 AM by Administrator »
Equipment:  Gearbest 2500mw A5 Mini Laser Engraving Machine  -  2500MW  SILVER 167912906 Air-cooling Weak Light Automatic Positioning DIY Kit
Software: T2Laser with J-Tech Photonics 0.9g Grbl

ROSS

• View Profile
Re: Terminology and Definitions
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2016, 12:44:01 PM »
Good idea...most of these term are foreign to newbies.......a coordinated handbook?
Lasers are wonderful machines..not ONLY  can they cut a finger off BUT  they can also cauterise it at the same time.....

SAFETY -  IS NO ACCIDENT

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2016, 01:03:25 PM »
I have noticed a lot of confusion on the terms, so let me explain them.

Arduino - the organization that produces the official hardware (not the laser controller board) https://www.arduino.cc/
Arduino IDE - the software used to program the Arduino hardware
Arduino Nano - one of the Arduino products (which uses an ATmega328P microcontroller)
Controller Board - the laser control board made by Elek Maker that houses the drivers, Nano and other circuits (see diagram)
Firmware - the compiled software that is loaded to the Arduino Nano (the same as the hex file)
GCode - a language used for CNC machines (the instructions sent to Grbl that control the machine)
GRBL - the software that runs on the Arduino Nano to run the laser
.hex - the compiled software that can be loaded on the Nano
Nano - see Arduino Nano above
PWM - Pulse Width Modulation (a method to get varying power from a laser diode, by quickly switching it on/off)

Our systems have Arduino clones (Chinese copies) of the Nano, but they operate just the same as the Arduino's.

- Zax.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2016, 03:28:28 PM by Zax »

caperry88

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2016, 07:44:39 PM »
@Zax, much thanks, as this help clear up some of the confusion I was having.

I am able to modify the first post that would have the updated terms and definitions as provided.

Perry
« Last Edit: March 23, 2016, 07:48:10 PM by caperry88 »
Equipment:  Gearbest 2500mw A5 Mini Laser Engraving Machine  -  2500MW  SILVER 167912906 Air-cooling Weak Light Automatic Positioning DIY Kit

caperry88

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2016, 08:48:49 AM »
connect to Grbl using the serial terminal of your choice.

In regards to GRBL, what is a "SERIAL TERMINAL"......Benbox, Gbrl Controller or Universal Gcode Sender????
« Last Edit: March 26, 2016, 08:50:34 AM by caperry88 »

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2016, 10:06:33 AM »
A program which allows you to send/receive data to the serial port; HyperTerminal, Termite, RealTerm, Grbl Controller or UGS will all work.

caperry88

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2016, 11:38:48 AM »
connect to Grbl using the serial terminal of your choice.

In regards to GRBL, what is a "SERIAL TERMINAL"......Benbox, Gbrl Controller or Universal Gcode Sender????

I only asked because it was in the how to configure GBRL post and on the weblink at GitHub.

Thanks again ZAX

caperry88

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2016, 04:39:04 AM »
I found these while doing some online research on the Arduino website forums......Can anyone (Zax) confirm these definitions before I add them to the list?

Bootloader - small software program that is burned into high flash memory to be the main means to burn user code into the reset of the flash memory. Once user's code is loaded the bootloader is no longer used or needed by the users code in the arduino environment. (this would be the software used to communicate with the Arduino program to load the different firmware eg. j-tech, laserink etc...)

Firmware - all the code (in the form of the .hex files) loaded onto a microcontroller (ATmega 328P) chip

Sketches - the source file (for the bootloader?????) you create in the IDE editor, which you then compile and upload, which then becomes the firmware that is loaded into the main AVR chip (ATmega 328P) on the board

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2016, 05:19:41 AM »
The bootloader is a small program on the Nano which allows the Arduino IDE to load sketches (programs). It is not required.

Arduino IDE calls programs you write, sketches. These are compiled and uploaded to the Nano. Grbl is a sketch, although a complex one and can be edited and uploaded using the Arduino IDE, or compiled to a .hex and loaded using AVRDude (or XLoader which is an interface to it).

- Zax.

caperry88

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2016, 04:20:32 AM »
I think I confused myself, going too fast.

Should I add those three to the list up top?

ROSS

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2016, 04:37:22 AM »
I would leave the original at the top by Zax..he's the expert.....
Lasers are wonderful machines..not ONLY  can they cut a finger off BUT  they can also cauterise it at the same time.....

SAFETY -  IS NO ACCIDENT

Administrator

• Administrator
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2016, 08:43:36 PM »
CAD - Computer-Aided Design. CAD software for mechanical design to depict the objects of traditional drafting. There is 2D and 3D design CAD software available. CAD is used to make your drawings and is the first step in the production run.

CAM - Computer-Aided Manufacturing. CAM is the use of software to control machine tools (such as laser machines, 3D printers, Milling and Lathe machines) in the manufacturing of parts. It is the second step in the production run.
Admin -- Ralph -- support @ BenCutLaser dot us
https://www.dropbox.com/s/qv1qee2vb65785t/SetupBenCutLaser3.2a.zip?dl=0
BCL Paid license: $49.95
via Paypal to bclpp@primemail.com

caperry88

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2016, 03:36:33 AM »
Thanks Ralph, will update ASAP

Heartlander

• Kent in KC
    • View Profile
    • Damn Solid Design
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2016, 07:03:54 PM »
Good. Maybe part of a Basic Info For Noobs and other living things folder?
ELEKS Maker 2.5W A5 laser engraver, Robox 3D printer, Wanhao i3 Duplicator 3D printer, Windows 10

Administrator

• Administrator
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2016, 07:13:11 PM »
Good. Maybe part of a Basic Info For Noobs and other living things folder?

Things are now spread out all over the boards...but...search works really well...so newbies can search for a term and still find what they need (I hope).
Admin -- Ralph -- support @ BenCutLaser dot us
https://www.dropbox.com/s/qv1qee2vb65785t/SetupBenCutLaser3.2a.zip?dl=0
BCL Paid license: $49.95
via Paypal to bclpp@primemail.com